Approx cost of reroofing 100 sq foot house

Page 1 / 2
punkinthefirst, Jun 25, 8:38pm
House was built in 50s or 60s, is L shaped with about 30 degree roof pitch.Roof is corrugated iron. The iron seems OK from ground level, but needs a good chemical clean, perhaps some repairs and definitely needs painting. I wondered whether I'd be better off going for a new roof. I'm 71, so not likely to get long term benefit, apart from sales appeal. Most tradespeople have to travel 50 -70 km, so getting quotes is difficult, and I'd like to have some idea of my options before I start looking.
. oh, and "money's too tight to mention", as Simply Red once sang!

stevo2, Jun 25, 9:06pm
100 sq ft house is tiny. Just 10ft x 10ft.

trade4us2, Jun 25, 9:33pm
My corrugated iro roof is around 100 years old and is still OK. Don't worry about it unless there are holes in it.

christin, Jun 25, 9:43pm
If you mean square meters, I had a 120 sqm one done about three years ago for around 11k. Multiple pitches

pauldw, Jun 25, 9:51pm
Your old iron stopped being made around 1930 when continuous rolling was invented. You can't use it to say that later roofs will last as long.

gabbysnana, Jun 25, 9:53pm
just had our work one done $16k.

golfdiver, Jun 26, 7:37am
If it’s 100m2 house, and that’s the floor area, then the roof is likely to be around 140m2 . Allow 12-14 k edge protection will also be required which could be up to 1.5k

terri01, Jun 26, 10:25am
Mine was done 18 months ago $11k, mine was leaking and for 12 months roofers could not find where water was getting in so I replaced rather than muck around any further

lythande1, Jun 26, 12:44pm
Cost my friend $11,000 a few months ago, she had other quotes up to $17,000

punkinthefirst, Jun 26, 2:23pm
Ooops. Yes 100 sq m!
Thanks, folks.

Wow. big differences in quotes there. Roof isn't leaking unless we get sideways rain (and then only one occasional tiny leak) , but the iron looks a little loose in places from ground level. Just was wondering, really if the combination of chemical clean/refixing/repainting was going to cost close to a new roof. in which case, its a no-brainer!

dibble35, Jun 26, 3:02pm
I got my roof and garage roof done less than a year ago, (my house 90m2) so would be a very similar size, cost me $12,000. That was with colorsteel.

golfdiver, Jun 26, 3:15pm
We used to do recoating as well as Reroofing. You always need to remember that even though it looks pretty, its still the same old roof with new clothes on.

golfdiver, Jun 26, 3:15pm
In your area, give Wayne Harvey a call at Bay Reroofing. He's a nice honest bloke.

trade4us2, Jun 26, 7:49pm
So modern corrugated iron is crap compared with what they made 100 years ago.

punkinthefirst, Jun 26, 8:17pm
My thoughts, as well . and thanks for the recommendation.

soxxy, Jun 26, 8:38pm
Please help me too. A roof above two bedrooms have a deck on it. Needs replacing - 9 mtrs by 3.8 mtrs. Any idea on the labour cost to replace it. We have priced the roofing materials approx $3,000, plus new joists. Also do we need to have Council approvals. Thanks

golfdiver, Jun 26, 8:47pm
So you are not going like with like? How old is the house? I suspect you probably will need consent, but don’t have enough information

soxxy, Jun 26, 9:07pm
This is an old house - and we will put the same type of roof - long run, I think it's called something like Dimond VeeDeck. Everything else will be the same - i.e. bannisters and posts. Not sure of terminology.

golfdiver, Jun 26, 9:45pm
Ok, joists was my concern. Did you mean purlins? . If you plan on getting a roofer in, let them supply and install. Nobody who is any good will be interested in labour only. A roof / deck is essential to be done well and flashed properly. You seriously don’t want it leaking for the sake of a few dollars .

nzdoug, Jun 26, 10:58pm
I fell in love wwith JAoiced

soxxy, Jun 30, 11:02am
Hi terri01 - Can you give us the name of your roofer - we have the same problem but trouble finding tradesmen - roofer and builder or a draughtsman.

kizzer27, Jun 30, 5:02pm
My roof was the same plus some idiot has put most the front iron on overlapped the wrong way,couldnt afford to do it when I first bought so to stop all the leaks I slapped on a coat of biosymph to seal it up,no real prep just patching bigger gaps and wire brushing off loose paint,$500ish for wire brush,40litres of biosymph(90sqm house,23sqm sleepout,single carport and single garage with leftovers)It has lasted well for 2 years and hoping it will do for a couple more while I do other things then I will re roof it myself.

jkm, Jul 1, 8:57am
Just as a bit of an indicator, if the roof has lapped iron and lead head nails then chances are it is due for replacement.

thisles5, Jul 1, 6:54pm
they don't want labour only because they make more on the discount on materials than they do for the actual job.

timbo69, Jul 2, 8:25pm
Cant say I agree - if the Iron isnt rusty why change it? Its worth changing the lead-head nails to screws and adding a few more, check/replace flashing's and a good lick of paint - probably 1/3 of the cost of a new roof for plenty more life.