Shallots and Garlic to Leeks ?

2bakerz, Oct 10, 8:28am
Back in June last year I planted out a dozen or so garlic cloves (from nursery) came through so about Dec/Jan I pulled some. large spring onions/small leeks! Thought I was going mad. so this year a few months ago I planted out shallots. and pulled a couple yesterday - the same! Now am I going crazy or can this happen? I just want some garlic and shallots to grow - help please

samanya, Oct 10, 8:04pm
Garlic loves food . mine gets pig shite, compost & plenty of water.
The first time I grew it, a few years ago, I got small cloves & was disappointed but since I've given them plenty of feeding . great success.
Shallots also take a while, you should be able to tell as they sort of multiply & you can see several bulbs, splaying out from the centre one, if you get my gist. May be a bit too soon harvesting the shallots?

2bakerz, Oct 11, 12:28pm
Thanks for reply samanya - I've grown them in the past successfully here and the shallots been in since about July? Bit reluctant to pull any more so will just leave them in and examine them in about another month

samanya, Oct 11, 1:03pm
My apologies, I thought you were a learner at growing them.

tourer100, Oct 12, 9:00pm
Traditionally, garlic planted shortest day and harvest on the longest day, so awhile to go, they should be starting to go from looking like leek to the bulb fstarting to for

meetee, Mar 7, 5:04pm
If the garlic cloves were large, maybe they were Russian or elephant garlic which is a type of leek rather than garlic. I have had them cross with ordinary leeks and self sowed themselves as garlicky leeks. I don't understand what went wrong with the shallots, perhaps they weren't shallots but once again Russian (elephant) garlic.