Marking dye when killing weeds in lawn

Page 1 / 2
skifflebar, Oct 12, 1:57pm
Due to circumstances, we must rely on lawn mowing contractors to do our mowing. Consequently, our lawn has become heavily infested with weeds, dandelion, daisy and near anything you can name.
I have used roundup in a spray previously but am not happy with the coverage; it gives way too much.
So, although it is labour intensive, i have a largish syringe that allows me to control the drops of treatment to the weeds without effecting the surrounding grass. The predicament is knowing(remembering) where I have applied the treatment as I make my way on this labour intensive task.
What can I use as an indicator dye that is very visible and not too costly. No suggestions of green coloured dyes please :-)

maclad, Oct 12, 4:24pm
Why don't you use use a spray specifically for weed removal in turf. Works well, better than syringing as it would get far better coverage with a broader kill rate, quicker application as well. Just do not let it drift onto valued plants. Not expensive to buy. Turfix is one but any triclopyr based herbicide would work. Roundup is not designed as a turf spray and kills almost everything and in a far wider area than the spray is applied to. You want to do it the hard way.

franken1, Oct 12, 4:36pm
x1
Dealing with weeds in your lawn can be a tricky and time-consuming task. I understand that you have been relying on lawn mowing contractors for your lawn maintenance, which has resulted in heavy weed infestation. Using a syringe to control the application of treatment to the weeds is a great idea, but keeping track of where you have already applied the treatment can be a challenge.

To make your task easier, you can consider using marking dye to indicate the areas that have already been treated. Marking dye is a colored liquid that is mixed with the weed killer, making it easier to see where you have already applied the treatment. This way, you won't waste time or weed killer by treating the same areas multiple times.

There are different types of marking dyes available in the market, but the most common ones are blue and red. These colors are highly visible and can be easily seen on your lawn. You can purchase marking dye from a garden supply store or online.

When using marking dye, it is essential to follow the manufacturer's instructions for mixing and applying it. Be careful not to use too much dye, as it can stain your clothing and other surfaces. It is also important to use a dye that is safe for use on your lawn and won't harm the surrounding grass.

Apart from using marking dye, you can also take some preventive measures to control weed growth in your lawn. Regular mowing can help prevent weeds from spreading and taking over your lawn. It is also essential to water your lawn deeply and less frequently, as this can encourage deeper root growth and make your grass more resistant to weeds.

Using a marking dye is a great way to keep track of where you have applied weed killer in your lawn. It is highly visible, cost-effective, and can save you time and effort in the long run. Just be sure to follow the manufacturer's instructions and take preventive measures to keep your lawn healthy and weed-free.

samanya, Oct 12, 6:04pm
this.
So much simpler. If you want to do it the long way, there are dyes you can get . can't remember the name of the one I got once . all I can remember is that I spilt the damned bottle on the pavers outside my garden shed . more trouble than it was worth.

maclad, Oct 12, 6:06pm
Totally agree

tweake, Oct 12, 6:34pm
turfix doesn't have triclopyr in it.
Hydrocotyle spray does.

turfix or a similar product will do the job on most weeds. then use a specific spray for each type of weed left over.

punkinthefirst, Oct 12, 7:15pm
Farmers use either a blue or bright pink dye as a marker. It isn't cheap, though and it is extremely strong. What about a little bit of food colouring?

mojo49, Oct 12, 7:30pm
x1
Yep, food dye would work, from the supermarket.

tweake, Oct 12, 7:34pm
just go buy the proper spraying dye.
i don't recall it being expensive and it will last you for years.
i think theres also "spray and stick" which is dye and some sort of sticking agent or penetrate.

phoebe22, Oct 12, 8:36pm
I too was going to suggest food colouring. the red one stains and is hard to wash off. Does anyone know if Turfix kills Pennyroyal?

ira78, Oct 13, 12:24pm
What do you mean it gives way too much? Covers too large of an area? So why not adjust the spray smaller? Mine I've taken the op of a coke bottle, drilled a hole in the lid, poked the spray nozzle threw then screwed on the top 1/4 of the coke bottle. That way I just put it on the ground, next to plants, whatever and pull the trigger. Holds in any overspray.

skifflebar, Oct 13, 9:13pm
Good idea on using the plastic soft drink bottle as a spray hood.
I apologise for my pigeon English; I meant too much coverage.
My intent is to kill the specific plants although looking over the section today; it is a hell of a task. I may have to compromise my ideals.
The sprays that kill broadleaf, I understand they have an adverse affect on ground dwelling life, ie worms.

carter19, Oct 13, 9:30pm
Food colouring does not work, I'v tried that. The turfix is great. My neighbour sprayed his 1 1/4 acres with Turfix and his lawn is beautiful. It didnt take long to spray and was so much easier than dabbing invidual weeds.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 13, 9:33pm
If you just want a temporary marker, use flour in a shaker.

woody89, Oct 13, 9:36pm
Go to farm stores such as RD1, Wrightsons, Farmlands & pick up a dye such as 'been there done that' or similar. Usually red or blue. Marks sprayed weeds & even if it gets on gravel or paving it doesn't permanently stain. Cost effective, second other comments about either using roundup with a hood cover or opting for a broadleaf spray- actually time to spray prickle weed so you might like to consider something in the mix for that too!

samanya, Oct 14, 1:11pm
I saw some marker in TWH yesterday & it was around the $10 mark.

macandrosie, Oct 16, 1:55pm
That bright pink dye usually comes in 5 litre containers. Stains everything. I have eradicated weeds in my lawn by using a mix of versatile & agretone. Expensive but effective. The only downside is you have to dump your lawn clippings for 12 months due to residual effect.

majoba, Oct 16, 2:40pm
I found food dye did work, because you only need the colour short term is that right? only needs to last as long as it takes you to finish the area you are doing if I understand correctly.

wind.turbine, Oct 17, 6:37am
yup and that crap is worse than the chemical, been there done that, ends up all over everything!
Best thing is paint a map in your head and that will work best.

jan2242, Oct 17, 9:49am
Try ordinary food colouring, have heard that works.

j96, Oct 18, 9:10pm
we use broadleaf spray on our paddocks, always plenty of worms when i've had to dig. I've also used it on my lawns so i dont have to mow as often, its kills the daisys :-)

skifflebar, Nov 6, 6:27pm
Well, we used a broadleaf herbicide, Lawnclean.
No dye, just did the lawn in section strips using a stringline. I think we have good coverage as the dandelion is showing results, followed by the daisies.
I have noticed our friends (not so) , the sparrows, are coming in feeding on the grass seed(?) so we are thinking that the lawn should be cut high initially then mulch mown for a period. Maybe the benefit will be self sown lawn and feeding the soil?

kacy5, Nov 6, 6:38pm
I have bought it in much smaller bottles from farming outlets.

fordcrzy, Nov 9, 7:33pm
go check out "the lawncare nut" on youtube. lots of good lawn advice

rainrain1, Nov 10, 9:13am
The bright pink dye doesn't leave a stain for long. the colour completely disappears in a few days