Killing wasps.

nzoomed, Sep 25, 7:21pm
I see that wasps are nesting now and alot of queens flying around.
Whats the best bait to use to kill or trap them?

I believe that you mix cat food with frontline flea treatment and it works well.

Has anyone tried this?

maclad, Sep 25, 7:27pm
No, but you always run the risk of cats eating the poisoned food. Best bet is to find the nest and treat with Dust To Wasps. I have found this highly effective after treating about 6 nests a year and it is quick. Just treat nests at dawn or dusk when wasps are far less active. Or you could add poison to jam and leave out in a small dish for them to take. Good luck.

junie2, Sep 25, 7:44pm
Make sure any second hole is blocked up. Put petrol down hole after dusk. Do not light! Some people put a shovelful of dirt after petrol, but usually not necessary as they will not fly after dark.

mggd, Sep 25, 7:48pm
Dont use jam, it will attract bees, dust to dust is cheap, easy to use and effective when used on nest entrances, you dont need to block up additional entrance holes, once you see a single wasp with the white powder on the colony will be toast.

maclad, Sep 25, 8:01pm
Sorry should have read Dust2Dust, it is really good

zak410, Sep 25, 9:23pm
I use fly spray; spray n runaway !. and repeat as necessary;
not at night, I tried that but they had sentinels. I could only hear them. much easier by daylight, late evening.

mggd, Sep 25, 9:28pm
Dont use a torch, the little buggers will fly up the light beam.

nzoomed, Sep 25, 11:01pm
Biggest problem is there are no nests yet at this time of year, plus we have the asian paper wasps in my area that make nests in shrubs and on buildings etc.
So there is no hole underground.

barrie2, Oct 18, 11:33am
Send them back on the container ship they came on!

budgel, Oct 18, 12:13pm
For paper wasps I throw a cup of petrol onto the nest. It kills them instantly and evaporates away quickly. Dont set fire to it!

zak410, Oct 18, 1:57pm
Paper wasps aren’t aggressive.

maclad, Oct 18, 4:28pm
Yes they are just not as aggressive as the German wasps.

tweake, Oct 18, 6:41pm
https://www.merchento.com/vespex.html
that the proper version of the frontline/cat food.

they will only take protein at certain times, so there is only certain times of the year you can use it.
what you can do is pre bait with water based cat food. if they take it, then use the vespex.

gunhand, Oct 18, 9:42pm
Oh god no, light it, every time, much fire should be used on all wasps. I mean what could possibly go wrong. We are adults here lol.

budgel, Oct 19, 8:47am
Try hitting them with flyspray and you'll be proven wrong!

lythande1, Oct 19, 11:30am
Wait till it's dark. The wasps are all in then. Then use flyspray.
If you do it early, some will be out and will rebuild the nest.

nzoomed, Oct 19, 11:51am
I see that product available, but you have to be a registered user and is quite expensive.
I think its the sort of thing the neighbourhood community should get together to make it work properly as well as keep costs down.
Would only like cost $10 per property.

Anyway, if they only take protein at certain times each year, i can see this as a problem, particularly because its late in the season and its the spring time when people want to control them before nests are built.

I also take it that sugar bait is not used because this would kill bees?

How do those lemonade bottle traps work? Anyone had success?
I tried ages ago and mainly got flies.

tweake, Mar 3, 12:58pm
the registration isn't to bad. not sure on the cost.
might be well worth it to have others pitch in a few $.

by mem i think spring it works well. but best thing is pre bait. you will know if they will take it and it will get them working one location which improves the kill.
the great thing is once its in the wasp nest it nukes the whole lot.

sugar can't be used due to bees and other insects, birds etc. using protein means you will only get wasps.
some idiot went around telling people to use jam and they promptly wiped out beehives, including their own.

the trouble with traps is it only gets the field wasps. you can decrease a population a bit but it doesn't do anything to the nest.
thats why vespex is great, it nukes nests you can't find or even get to.