Pohutukawa - flowers almost over.

meoldchina, Nov 19, 5:22pm
My Pohutukawa are almost over and it's not even December. I am in Nelson. Has anyone else noticed them blooming early?

jills3, Nov 19, 5:56pm
Here in Ak I dont have flowers yet on pohutukawas.

maclad, Nov 19, 7:08pm
I am not well informed on Pohutukawa but I know there are quite a lot of different varieties all flowering at different times, some native and some exotic.

starseeker, Nov 19, 7:18pm
Some are true pohutakawas, others are southern rata, so I have heard.

barbiedoll, Nov 20, 4:55pm
My Rhodos flowered about a month early this year so could be the warm weather this spring.

wembley1, Nov 20, 5:06pm
My understanding is that there are two species of pohutukawa. The NZ version that (usually) flowers at Christmas and a Kermadec species that flowers all year round.

And as you said, it has cousins in the form of rata and also a cousin from Hawaii

funkydunky, Nov 23, 6:46pm
Many M. Exclesiors have flowered and are flowering in AK. Very unusual year. Lots of angiosperms flowering like they are about to die! Also the recent weather is incredible for mid November. I have heard cicadas already too.

jills3, Nov 23, 7:10pm
Oh you people wont like to hear this, but hell when we bought this section 30 years ago and planted natives (pohutukawas) and others natives and now they are big. We also built a minor dwelling on the section which we rent out, but hell the leaves in the spouting and we are also told pohutukawas search for water. Hell I wish we had never planted pohutukawas.

lythande1, Nov 24, 7:55am
I have a Metrosideros Tahiti Pohutukawa. It has not flowered at all yet.
But it is in a pot, not letting it loose in the garden, miniature claims or not.

dibble35, Feb 8, 5:05pm
Could be the variety 'Springfire' that you have or another of the Kermadec ones - they flower early. Our kermadec ones at work are just coming into flower, but havnt seen any flowers on the Mainland ones yet. I reckon this spring has been a weird one when it comes to plants. My Amaryllis was early, peach trees were/are really late to sprout leaves.