How to Get rid of a Tree Stump Please

hound31, Jun 8, 11:39am
Hi all, need some advice. Have a tree stump that I want to stop regrowing. I don't want to use Stump Stop (the orange coloured stuff) for reasons of my own. Can I drill holes in stump and pour Round Up or Weed Weapon in, willl that do it? Would plug holes up with putty or something, would this be effective? Think I've done it in the past but can't quite remember, Ta.

nzmax, Jun 8, 12:00pm
Yep, I've drilled holes and used neat roundup in the past with success. Dependant on the tree species, a species specific weed killer maybe better. Other option is to hire a stump grinder or company to do it, and grind it down below soil level, which gives instant gratification.

hound31, Jun 8, 12:50pm
Thank you. not sure what species, just moved in recently and it was cut to a stump with a chainsaw, now want to put a new fence up and I don't want it growing again and possibly damaging new fence, it's very close to it. I'll try the Round Up first.

sherbet05, Jun 8, 2:36pm
A cheaper and more friendly option is to use table salt. Just cover the outer rim of the stump with it, you can also drill holes and put salt in if you wish. Of course don't go too crazy with salt though as large quantities are not good for the soil. This worked a treat for my dad's snickering cherry trees so it does work, even killed off the suckers too!

sherbet05, Jun 8, 2:38pm
Suckering* damn autocorrect! Though im sure those cherry trees were snickering as they beat each of his removal attempts until the salt. Lol.

shanreagh, Jun 8, 2:50pm
Good one
I bet they were just like the oxalis does when, yet again, I give in to temptation and just pull it out rather than digging it out carefully and removing as many little bulblets as I can.

mojo49, Jun 8, 5:29pm
The best result will be obtained with a stump grinder. Next to that clever use of a chainsaw to take the centre out of the stump to well below ground level will help. Then cut the outer edge with an axe or sabre saw. If the stump has a hollow centre, water will lay in it and it will rot away quicker. Also drilling into the side of the stump and adding straight Round Up (glyphosate) usually works well.

hound31, Jun 8, 6:40pm
Thanks everyone:) Drilled holes and poured the straight Round Up in. advice much appreciated.

dannydonut, Jun 8, 7:15pm
Oh thanks, sherbet05, that gave me a big laugh- I can just see those trees snickering!

tegretol, Jun 8, 10:13pm
What was the tree? If it was willow or poplar, it will regard roundaup as a tonic and will spring back to life ready for the next dose. In my experience, ya can't beat Tordon 2G granules for a permanent kill.

hound31, Jun 8, 10:59pm
Hi, as I wrote in a post above i don't know the species. Only had the place a couple of months and it was chain sawed down. however, it's a small suburban garden in an old suburb so i really doubt it would be either of those. Thanks anyway:)

brightlights60, Jun 10, 12:40am
I used woody weedkiller on our cabbage tree stumps and it did the trick. Roundup is designed to be used on growing greenery (weeds) as its absorbed through the leaf matter, not on the stump or as some people think, bare ground.

quiz3, Jun 11, 9:08am
I have successfully stopped a stump from re growing by covering it with a thick plastic, heaps of newspaper or the like. This process stops air or light getting to stump therefore stopping any regrowth. Worked for me !

gsimpson, Jun 11, 9:15am
Drill holes and use Saltpeter (Sodium nitrate) Will cause the stump to rot out more quickly.
I got some labelled as a stump remover from M10 some time ago.

briantamaki-god, Jun 14, 11:29am
I had the stump cut below ground level made a wee berm with the dirt
drilled holes all over it poured diesel for about a week so it absorbed then lit it early one sat throughout the day used spliter and axe to good effect
all was good until the fire service turned up a few days later they said its a fire ban fines etc
they could see what i was doing no vegetation around below ground level hose nearby small flame some one attending to it
one said cant have fire unless its for a hangi i said yup it is he said make sure its out by sunset and left sensible result all around
still have wood under ground under the lawn as mushrooms pop up at random times

planespotterhvn, Jun 16, 9:35pm
I have used log splitting wedges hit with a sledge hammer to break up stumps. otherwise a contractor with a stump grinder.
I am not a fan of putting concentrated or long lasting weedlkillers in the stump or diesel that may contaminate the soil.

stuffed, Jun 17, 4:14pm
Check out UTube but I burnt our one over about 2 days. Drilled holes and poured in kerosene. Piled up kindling and wood and then coal when it was well alight.

ambo11, Jun 18, 6:03pm
I recently used this stuff on a neighbours Ivy and other bits and pieces they ignored, was brilliant. killed the Ivy as well as everything else it touched, including a damned Wisteria I stupidly planted years ago. Brilliant stuff, I mixed it stronger though, not sure if that made any difference? Damned cheap for how good it was. Makes a total joke out of Roundup for a much cheaper price.
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/mcgregor-s-woody-scrub-weed-control-200ml_p00305180

hound31, Oct 28, 10:48am
Thank you for that! I have ivy as well ( I swear the damn stuff follows me to every property I buy). It's just laughed at the Woody Weed killer, so will try this stuff. will throw a bit at the stump as well although I've already drilled and drenched in Round Up.