Barn Flooring

rusty-bones, Jan 28, 10:39am
Any cheap ideas would be great. I have search Pinterest and googled and you tubed and cannot find many ideas. At the moment the floor is dirt and gravel mixed into it. I was thinking of somehow using pellets, but cannot see how we would do this. I just want any floor that's level. Also wondering if it's worth putting weed mat or something down first. Thanks

hakatere1, Jan 28, 11:05am
Concrete?

rusty-bones, Jan 28, 12:26pm
Concrete is my favourite choice and hope to definitely do this in time. The barn is Hugh and would cost a fortune I think. But maybe I should get a quote done. I did wonder if we did do this ourselves if we could do sections at a time for cost reasons and wondered how that worked.

tweake, Jan 28, 12:34pm
trouble with wood floor is it needs to be raised so you can get air flow underneath to keep it dry. a ton of work putting poles etc in. then cost of timber. plus it reduces the wall height.

concrete would be the best. needs gravel and polythene to stop water coming through. you could do it in stages but needs to be well planned and have levels sorted for the whole floor. should be able to make the concrete yourself as its not structural, tho might be cheaper just to get a truck in.
seen a few old barns where they have done it bit by bit and its all uneven. really horrible to use.

rusty-bones, Jan 28, 12:49pm
Thanks tweake it's been doing my head in thinking about it. Putting polythene down also, I didn't know this. Is this only if the barns are damp?

happychappy50, Jan 28, 1:03pm
Polythene under the concrete is essential if you want the floor to be dry.Dosnt matter if it is dry or damp underneath,it is very cheap insurance against rising damp & yes if your budget is low do it in sections,each section will act as an expansion joint allowing it all to move without (hopefully) cracking,put your mesh down on chairs & it should work well.

budgel, Jan 28, 2:10pm
If you cant afford to go permanent, lime rock packs down well.
It would probably be worthwhile hiring a compactor if you go down this route.

tweake, Jan 28, 3:20pm
as happy mentioned you need polythene. its fairly cheap, not to be skimped on.
trouble is even ground that looks dry is actually wet. there is a nz average of the amount of moisture that evaporates out of nz soil.
as soil is always going to be damp you need to stop it coming up through the concrete.

rusty-bones, Jan 28, 4:51pm
Thanks everyone. I will google that budgel.

omamari, Jan 29, 7:26am
If you are going to concrete you will need a decent base. I'd put some more metal down, level it properly and compact it with a decent sized compactor. Then use the floor like that until you can afford concrete

laspaz, Jan 4, 4:10pm
Any idea of cost per m2? I am wondering if I can afford to concrete the floor in my 9x24m shed.