Repainting side of house

cunningdavid, Oct 20, 12:39pm
We've been getting quotes to repaint one side of our house. It's a single story weatherboard wall, originally built in the 1940s. One quote is about $2000 and another $8000. Big difference!
So I've been trying to work out why one is so high higher than the other. A difference is that the higher quote includes stripping all the old paint and repainting from scratch. The cheaper one only includes stripping in a couple of places where the old paint is bubbling off, and otherwise they will just sand the current paint to prepare it for the new coat.
Can anyone help advise whether stripping all the old paint is good or necessary, given it mostly appears to be in okay condition? Is sanding enough preparation?
Thanks in advance.

lythande1, Oct 20, 2:54pm
You've answered your own question, why is it more.
I'd stick with the cheaper, you shouldn't strip right back anyway, better to just get rid of any loose stuff.

blueviking, Oct 20, 3:44pm
New acrylic paints stretch more and stick better than the older ones.Depending on how many coats previous there are,you have to be sure each previous coat was properly done.If some of the last coat is peeling, then it probably wasn't prepped correctly. The earliest coats are probably lead based, so all this has to be disposed of correctly which will add to the cost of the job.

cunningdavid, Oct 20, 4:41pm
Yeah, the lower price painter mentioned lead based and recommended not stripping it all for that reason.
The old paint is only peeling in one area, about 1x1 metres. The lower price painter reckons maybe it's due to oil in the wood, and though it may have been painted well originally, in those couple of places maybe it's been repainted later and not prepared properly.
The rest of the wall looks okay. Makes me wonder if we should just get the one patch fixed. Or if we should do the whole wall now so it lasts.
As you may tell, we're new to home ownership :-)

jkp58, Oct 20, 5:54pm
50 per cent chance the rest could bubble up as the new paint dries.You can test adhesion by making an X with a knife place masking tape over it and pull off the tape if paint comes off best to strip. Do this in several areas. If you intend to stay in the house for a long time you wont regret spending the extra
as you will more than likely have to strip eventually

skull, Oct 20, 6:17pm
Why not do the 1 meter x 1 meter area properly yourself and see how the rest holds up before you do the whole wall.

snoopy221, Oct 20, 6:22pm
The lower price painter reckons maybe it's due to oil in the wood, and though it may have been painted well originally, in those couple of places maybe it's been repainted later and not prepared properly.

Reality is
Stripping the whole thing in the wrong weather and exposing bare timber may well end up being such a nightmare.

jkp58, Oct 20, 6:26pm
now is perfect time for stripping and painting

marte, Oct 20, 8:54pm
I found that at some certain point, its not worth the time fixing weatherboard if theres rot in it.
Its easier to just replace with new boards and insulate it at the same time.

holmda, Oct 20, 9:00pm
We've just done our single level house for about $10 000. They did a fantastic prep job hammering in all the rusty nails, filling and lots of sanding before putting on lots of paint. Painter reckons it should last a good 15-20 years if we wash it down every year based on his previous jobs.

golfdiver, Oct 20, 9:41pm
You’re incredibly perceptive being able to judge the condition of the weatherboarded sight unseen

jkp58, Oct 21, 6:29am
cost of stripping approx $75 sq metre

happychappy50, Oct 21, 8:53am
If the old paint is in sound condition,prep it,remove any flaking paint,if you have exposed any back to raw timber,give it a coat of primer then a couple of coats of good quality top coat,most quality exterior paints have all the requirements to do what they are meant to do & last the distance,golden rule is all in the prep.

trad, Oct 21, 2:02pm
I'd do this. Or even a temp job on this section, enough to last until you see how the rest of the wall fares over time.

richynuts, Oct 21, 2:13pm
If you start stripping the paint you may open up a can of worms. before you know it you will be replacing old boards fill of borer holes. Best just to tidy up loose paint, prep properly and paint.

ang_ck, Oct 21, 2:26pm
@cunningdavid, I stripped my house to bare timber and repaint it. Yes, you could open up a can of worms. I believe in doing the job once and doing it damned well. Since you are in Wellington, I am happy to pop over to your place and give you some tips on what to do. Drop me an email if you want me to check it out. My email is my userid at yahoo dot com.

cunningdavid, Oct 22, 8:48am
My partner and I have been discussing the idea of repainting the whole house a different colour in a year or two, so we might just go with the idea of fixing the 1x1m area for now.

Your advice would be great though ang_ck. I'll send you an email.

Thanks for all the replies!

cunningdavid, Oct 22, 9:26pm
Trader ang_ck kindly came over this evening and looked at the place. He reported the paint as being in good condition except for that one spot (which is on the other side of the wall from the shower), so we might defer painting the whole wall. Must get the trees chopped back though! Much obliged to him for his time and advice.

trade4us2, Mar 1, 11:11am
Having had the worst possible paint on a wall, I removed the old paint with a hot air gun, and sanded to bare wood. I put a tarpaulin over the top to keep it dry. 3 coats of Solagard looks good.
Total cost around $200 for paint and sanding disks.