Lamp - electrical repair

beebb3, Apr 7, 9:19pm
I have a decent desk lamp thats worth repairing - the light flickers on and off, and when you wiggle the head part it comes on again. My question is please can somebody recommend where I can take it in Hornby or Rolleston Christchurch area to be fixed please? Just don't seem to get privately owned electrical shops now.
Must be a simple issue, wires not quite touching/connected. May have pulled away alittle. Appreciate any helpful answers.

jenny188, Apr 7, 9:26pm
Bit left of center but try your local washing repair (or stove) guy. They are liceinced for basic wireing servicing

ryanm2, Apr 8, 8:01am
Plenty of sparkles out in Rolleston. If you can put your request on the Facebook rolleston community page.

cantabman1, Apr 8, 8:28am
Even if it is a nice Lamp,
it still isn't worth any repair when you can go to K Mart and get a nice new one for $17.
How much do you think the sparky will charge to repair an old Lamp?
[ Ex Electrical Appliance dealer]

beebb3, Apr 8, 10:11pm
cantabman1 (ex electrical appliance dealer) - the lamp is a Superlux Equipoise and has a heavy base, you can move the arm up and down, so not really comparible with the K Mart ones. I may just be able to contact a sparky who won't charge the earth? I can see the problem myself, and if you are qualified and know what you are doing, could be fixed in no time at all.
Guessing you would have charged heaps by the sounds when you were an electrical appliance dealer?

tel4, Apr 9, 9:49am
This one ^

gpg58, Apr 9, 10:41am

onl_148, Apr 9, 12:15pm
someone who repairs power tools or the like may take a look at it for you. it sounds like a 5 minute apprentice job.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 9, 12:30pm
Your lamp is worth a fair chunk on the mid century listings, lol. Far more than any cheap K Mart crap, and way better to use. Any lighting shop can have it fixed for you, and any local sparky could do it.

It's worth doing.

shanreagh, Apr 9, 1:01pm
If you are a member of Timebank, or Neighbourly put a request on there. I had an electrician rewire several of my lamps that needed variuos things done to them. Superlux Equipoise lamps are very good quality products and well worth having $$$ spent on them if you cannot get it done as part of Timebank or Neighbourly.

bill1451, Apr 9, 6:53pm
I,ll look at your lamp and probably be able to repair it for a small fee, plus cost of lampholder. Semi retired registered sparky, 45 years experience.
Local guy , in Rolleston twice a day for school run.

beebb3, Apr 9, 9:34pm
bill1451 you sound ideal. What do you mean by 'plus cost of lampholder'?
Cheers.
Appreciate all your answers everybody.

bill1451, Apr 10, 5:28pm
From what you are saying it sounds as thought the lampholder needs replacing and if it is a brass item from memory around $10 to $20.00 dollars
I have one here on the shelf and can get you a firm price Weds,
A brass LH might cost you a bit more but will last a lot longer than a plastic one.

bill1451, Apr 10, 5:30pm
looses all the screws, sorry half the screws that you havent got in the junk box

bill1451, Apr 10, 5:38pm
Natalie, txt Bill 0223116548 help you out,

cantabman1, Nov 27, 8:51am
That's not very nice to say. If it is Tiffany like quality, then go for it. I am just pointing out the cost of repairs as against buying a new one.