Electrical Supplies

t_naki, Dec 26, 10:08pm
I'm a sparky but have been out of the pricing game for a while and don't have any good contacts to get gear from our local wholesalers or know how much things should cost. I have seen a outfit online, www.tradedepot.co.nz which seem to have pretty good prices. Does anyone have any experience with them or can anyone recommend somewhere else where I could get a good deal.

tfc3, Dec 26, 11:43pm
I have used some of some of these cheap products and found the terminal screws strip very easy, the screw heads are faulty and the switch contacts fail often. I stick to PDL noproblems

t_naki, Dec 27, 2:14am
Sorry, just to confirm. Have you used products from this company of just used cheap products in the past. I ask because I would always by one of anything to make sure of quality before buying a house lot and am also looking at their cable prices.

I don't mind paying for quality but I don't want to pay a high price for a name.

macman26, Dec 27, 4:04am
http://voltex.co.nz/
This crowd may be a better bet and they offer good warranties on their stuff also.
Also if you have a list of what you need some of the wholesalers will give you a good price. Just show them your electrical license. They may even allow you to set up an account.

ryanm2, Dec 27, 5:14am
I would suggest popping into a JA Russel branch and just grab the latest @ Source mailer. Very competitive prices on a wide range of products. I am forever replacing crap no name power points, RCD's , lamps, LED drivers etc etc

rotormotor7, Dec 27, 8:46am
^Voltex are an ok brand.
The Led downghts are thus far really good. no fail rate look just like the genesis ones
Conduit fittings are a different shade of grey to marley conduit and not as tighter a fit . flexy conduit not real strong when are manhandling set in cobcrete out of ground to solid on a fence. splits easy(UV? )
metal saddles fine

Avoid their ceiling roses (secondary terminal screws round their threads with ease) and batten holders ( either too loose or tighten and break the copper)
Avoid also their din rail 2/3 pole isolators as screws are way to shallow and cant get good purchase.

elect70, Jun 27, 9:55am
I had problems from clients who have checked charges & moaned about cost as they see on line at vXXX $ . I have to explain that i buy quality from my w saler as & when i need it & naturally its dearer than , on line stores that have no staff , wharehouse , employess . I stick to the known brands , if client wants cheap rubbish they buy it themselves . Glad im retired now