Electrical wall sockets not holding plugs tightly

nigelt74, Feb 25, 12:15am
Electrical wall sockets not holding plugs tightly, exactly that there are a few sockets around the house that just don't hold the plugs in, they sort of slip partially out of the socket, which i don't like and so don't use these sockets, can i just replace the innards of these, or do i have to replace the whole unit.

Is it a simple job or should i get an electrician in.

daryl14, Feb 25, 12:25am
You have to replace the whole wall plate. easy and cheap enough to do. buy from bunnings etc and swap the wires over. If you're not sure ask them to explain how.

You absolutely have to be sure you have pulled the right fuse/breaker in the switchboard and tested for no power first though.

pauldw, Feb 25, 12:34am
The Energy Safety Service publish NZECP 51 a Code of Practice for home owners. Legally you can only work on fittings if you own the house AND live in it.

nigelt74, Feb 25, 1:03am
Yep we own the house and live in it.

so would the new wall plate be compatible with the bit thats in the wall, the metal box ( I haven't looked yet) they are the old PDL wall sockets from about 30 or so years ago

daryl14, Feb 25, 1:09am
Yes they will fit guaranteed.

russ18, Feb 25, 1:14am
No they don't always fit, width of new double sockets often won't fit into older flush boxes, quick fix if the flush box is just screwed to side of stud is to move it back 10mm - else replace the flush box.
If you have the big square double gang sockets then you can replace with same again (expensive) or get an adapter plate to reduce to standard size.

210sback, Feb 25, 1:19am
ask bunnings to explain how!ha ha.

curlcrown, Feb 25, 2:17am
Or to be sure switch off the main switch.

ryanm2, Feb 25, 3:38am
As to what Russ18 said. The newer 600 series PDL sockets (double or single) are an extremely tight fit in older metal flush boxes, often they wont screw in square as the plastic mould pushes against the old flush box, some of the cheaper gear like Arlec does fit, but are crap and you will be replacing them again in a few years.
Also, the metal flush boxes may be nailed to the stud, if this is the case try and get a set of side cutters to pry the nails loose, otherwise you can do quite a bit of damage to your gib or whatever.

flagheaven, Feb 25, 3:54am
get a sparky in if you are in the least bit doubtful - far safer for average joe.

tmenz, Feb 25, 3:54am
Don't do anything if you're not sure of what you're doing - get a qualified person to do it!
Don't buy no-name fittings - get name brands such as PDL, HPM, RingGrip, Clipsal!
As 'ryanm2' and 'russ18' have said above, you will probably have to replace the flush boxes if they are of the old metal types.
It may be possible to dismantle each flush plate and carefully retension/reset the spring contacts if they are not too badly worn or pitted, but replacement is the better option.
If yours are the type that don't have individual switches fitted, then they should be replaced anyway with modern ones that do.

tmenz, Feb 25, 4:02am

nigelt74, Feb 25, 5:11am
x1
nup if it looks difficult or too technical, I'll be getting a sparkie around, not worth risking the house or me for a few dollars.

I'll probably look at it this weekend coming

What would a sparkie charge to replace lets say 10 to power points, and possibly a similar number of light swithches, (the old ones make a zzzzt sound if you switch them slowly)

ryanm2, Feb 25, 6:11am
trade on pdl double power point is approx $36.
You could always supply the gear required to save yourself some money but the sparky wont guarantee supplied gear obviously.
You can grab the PDL 692 from around $18 each on here. PDL 681 from $9.

t_naki, Mar 23, 1:08pm
I would also invest in a plug in polarity tester just to make sure that you have the wires connected the right way round when you are done. It is easy to do, especially if you are unfamiliar with the work.