When should electrical wiring be replaced?

Page 1 / 2
jh34, Jun 30, 2:57am
In a bedroom I??

johotech, Jun 30, 3:20am
Why do you want your wiring clean?

jh34, Jun 30, 3:44am
I just wanted to read the writing and see the state of the sheath.

johotech, Jun 30, 3:52am
Oh, I see. Bored today?

Anyway, there is nothing wrong with that type of cable (as far as insuring a house, or leaving it installed as it is), but if any fittings (power points etc) are replaced, the bare earth should be sleeved where the outside PVC is stripped back. Also, often that cable was smaller than cables used for power points today, so if fuses are replaced with circuit breakers, the correct size circuit breaker needs to be selected.

golfdiver, Jun 30, 4:52am
Replace it just after the fire as a rule.

tfc3, Jun 30, 6:03am
Please tell me how a bare earth wire causes a fire.

howgoodisit, Jun 30, 8:13am
By touching the red one im guessing.

tfc3, Jun 30, 9:22am
Thought fuse would blow

macman26, Jun 30, 9:32am
See last two lines of Post #4
Also with larger fuse wire was fitted cause it blows when running the dishwasher, Jug, toaster, heater and blow drying my hair with the smaller stuff.

_atomant_, Jun 30, 9:52am
The bare earth wire is between about 15-30 years old and is fine, nowadays the earth is sleeved but thats the way they did it then. As long as the circuit protection at the switchboard is correctly rated then you have no issues.

johotech, Jun 30, 10:38am
Actually it is more than 30 years old.

russ18, Jun 30, 9:07pm
All our original subcircuit wiring is bare earth twin & earth tps - thankfully even the lighting (rather than just twin). House was built in 1963 so 52 years old.

charie4, Jul 4, 7:22am
You are overloading the circuit which is a serious fire risk.

jefrys17, Jul 6, 6:29am
The best time to replace electrical wiring is when major renovations are being done to that part of the house and the builders have removed / are replacing the wall / cieling cladding.

sparky_wit, Jul 11, 7:15am
theoretically wiring should be replaced every 15-25 years (this doesn't happen in NZ).
Saying that. So long as you aren't seeing physical deterioration. such as resin leaking (like green goo), the cable passes insulation resistance testing, isn't VIR (vulcanised indian rubber) or TRS (tough rubber sheathed) you'll be fine.

Having a twin and earth cable without earth sleeve is better than have no earthing.

sparky_wit, Jul 11, 7:16am
I agree and cheaper for the client too

apollo11, Jul 11, 10:08am
Just had our house rewired and noticed that the plastic sheathing on the new wire is very soft- much softer than the old uninsulated earth wire that was there in places. Asked the electrician, he said that it is all crap but is all that is available and wouldn't be surprised if it is a big problem nationwide in twenty years. I was a bit speechless, we just seem to be stumbling from one shitty idea to another in this county when it comes to houses.

pauldw, Jul 11, 11:18am
Name any country where wiring is replaced that often.

ryanm2, Jul 11, 8:56pm
You are full of it.

Actually what theory are you basing this on?

ryanm2, Jul 11, 8:59pm
What sort of cable? Olex, General Cable? Maybe the sparky bought some himself from overseas and its rubbish or, like many sparkies, they tend to talk up problems that dont actually exist. (yeah im a sparky).

apollo11, Jul 12, 8:05am
Yeah, it was Olex. He said you have to be careful pulling it through walls as if it hooks on anything it tends to skin itself. I've been stripping the insulation off the old wire and all the offcuts so I can take it to the scrap yard, the new stuff is way softer. We had to get all the old stuff ripped out, I must have had a sample of pretty much every type of wiring sold in NZ for the last 80 years!

pauldw, Jul 12, 8:42am
PVC has plasticizer added to make it more flexible. The plasticizer evaporates over time. Who knows what the old cable was like 50 years ago?

ryanm2, Jul 12, 9:17am
copper is worth sweet stuff all at present, bury it, dig it up in 10 years time I reckon and then sell it.

apollo11, Jul 12, 9:58am
Yes, it's around $6 a kilo for clean copper I'm told. I must have around 30 kilos of wire so far as well as a heap of lead from the mains cable, also a house lot of copper guttering, plumbing, header tank, cylinder etc. Every bit counts.

apollo11, Nov 24, 9:10pm
pauldw wrote:
PVC has plasticizer added to make it more flexible. The plasticizer evaporates over time. Who knows what the old cable was like 50 years ago?[/quote

I have a huge range of wiring including woven insulation, rubber coated, uninsulated earth, and modern stuff with insulated earth. the modern stuff that has been pulled out is bloody tough, but still flexible. This is the stuff I was comparing to our new wiring.