Electrical - Am I Allowed ?

Page 1 / 2
andrew1954, Sep 3, 10:08am
In terms of the Electrical Rules / Regulation etc I'm I allowed to do the following as a DIY person. :
Replace my ranghood. The old one is connected via a flexicable to a permanent connection unit. The new one has a cable and 3 pin plug, so just cut off the plug and connect the cable to the PCU.
Also my old stove is connected via a plug and cable. Transfer this cable to the new stove.
I have the technical skills and know how to do it, it is just am i allowed to do it. ?

mm12345, Sep 3, 10:36am

tmenz, Sep 3, 8:36pm
Do you also have the technical skills, the specific knowledge and the appropriate test gear to do proper safety checks on all the work before it is livened?
This is a very important part of any electrical work that a registered/licensed electrical worker does as a matter of course, before a job is considered 'complete' and is signed off.

mlarkin, Sep 3, 9:22pm
Regarding the stove. It is now required that this has to be wired in - not a plug. They have gone back to this situation as we found out recently. Also if you do this work yourself and it is not certified by an electrician, there would be repercussions regarding insurance if there was a fire. You will notice that when you have any electrical work done now, the electrician gives you a certificate of compliance. This safeguards everyone. Unless you have a friend who is an electrician and can certify the work I would not attempt either the stove or the range hood. Capricorngirl

johotech, Sep 3, 9:27pm
Unfortunately everything written in your post is incorrect.

gabbysnana, Sep 4, 6:47am
And yet i would like to know how to do that, icant figure electrical, 3 pin is okay , lights i cant fathom, i wish they had nightschools where you could learn basic electrical, a wall was wited up for a bedroom wall light with a two way light swtich, all tucked inside the wall , been like that for 4 years, because no electrican will come out cos the job is too small. Ironically i put it in so i could read in bed, time has gone by and now i have a tablet.

ryanm2, Sep 4, 6:59am
Worst . Post . Ever

johotech, Sep 4, 7:04am
I think a night class for spelling and english would be more useful to you.

_atomant_, Sep 4, 9:29am
You REALLY need to check your facts before saying stuff like this. ABSOLUTE BOLLOCKS and the answer to your next question is yes I am one!

gabbysnana, Sep 4, 10:41am
nah its the tablet and the autocorrect it's painful.

sboydnz, Sep 4, 11:19pm
Of course you can carry out the work you describe. Poster #2 is correct, read the details in the site they have posted and go from there.
There are way too many precious electricians on here that bullsh*t the public into thinking they are the only means of survival. And before you all jump down my throat I repeat. " read what poster 2 has displayed and judge for yourself if you are competent enough to carry out the task" As far as the rest Ignore them. And poster 4 is wrong.

mm12345, Sep 4, 11:32pm
Not sure if you're quite right about electricians deliberately BS the public.
My son's an apprentice - passed his regs exam (phew). He dumped his hard copy of ECP51 in front of me as a gift (. or perhaps a hint - heh). "But don't you need it" I ask. "Nope" he replies - "why should I - what I need to know and will be tested on is the regs as they apply to registered sparkies". So it appears, surprisingly, that normal sparkies may not know ECP51 regs very well at all. I'm guessing that electrical inspectors might - as in that case they could be in the position of being authorised to sign-off on work carried out by unregistered people under ECP51 - a dicy can of worms of course.

bill1451, Sep 6, 11:10pm
Just glad I am at the end of my sparky career, rules and regs, and then theresall the OSH rules rammed down your throat at every opportunity,
No more step ladders over 1.8m need to build a scaffold to change a light bulb for anything higher, and apparently it, s about to get even sillier

ryanm2, Sep 7, 12:52am
No apparently about it , its about to get much sillier and very expensive even for those not doing anything wrong. Give it another year and you will probably need a sign in / sign out book for the porta toilet, with proof of 2 hour induction on how to use toilet. Farts will become a near miss , having to be written on the accident register too.

nzjay, Sep 7, 1:25am
I'm in the same boat as you and agree it's becoming ridiculous some of the demands being made. A work platform with side rails when a 1200mm pair of steps is fine for example. I do a lot of work servicing automatic doors. Imagine the effect a work platform in a doorway of a busy supermarket is going to affect public safety!

pauldw, Sep 7, 1:53am
This is from Worksafe
"Is a ladder the right tool for carrying out your job safely?
Ladders don??

vivac, Sep 7, 2:02am
Try working on a Fletchers site, its like that now.

nzjay, Sep 7, 3:05am
Fletchers (and some others) are so far over the top I have to suspect there is some "collusion" between them and Work Safe, ACC etc.
"Do this, this and that and we won't prosecute if there is a fall"?

marte, Sep 8, 7:38am
I need to rewire up a electric stove and flat top stove elements.
It was originally wired in with a large wall switch close by.

Can I wire it up myself?
I would like to put in a large wallsocket to fit a plug on the stove like I see sometimes on old stoves.,
Is there rules on where the switch must be?
And rules on where the socket must be?
Can I put in two sockets as both oven and flat top elements will need them?
From the same cable?

How about the overhead air extraction unit, can I put that in that myself?

Just wondering.

bill1451, Sep 8, 10:53am
If the oven is freestanding you need a plug and socket, if the oven is built in, no p&s required same as for hotplates, as for whether you are ALLOWED to do it yourself is different from CAN you do it legally

marte, Sep 10, 11:43am
It looks like I cannot then.

Freestanding stove is so much easyer though. I would be confident about that.
I have 2 or 3 flat top elements and a nice 'used twice' built in stove. In storage.

I might save up my electrical jobs and get them done all at the same time.

xc-coon, Sep 11, 5:47am
Mate be very careful, that code of practice is ten years old and no longer relevant . Legally for the op to do the work described they now need to issue an electrical safety certificate stating they have used if any electrical products that comply with our (nz) standards , that the equipment they have connected have a current deceleration of conformity, that they have carried out the proper electrical tests required before livening and of course their registration number. Don't get fooled by people that tells u you don't need this paperwork. I issue ten to twenty a week. It's the law.

russ18, Sep 11, 5:51am
ECP51 is the current standard for homeowners doing their own electrical work, that makes it still completely relevant. ECP51 does not require electrical safety certs.

xc-coon, Sep 11, 6:23am
Wake up. Show me where that is current 2015

johotech, Sep 11, 6:30am
Section 79 of the electricity act and ESR 57 for starters.