Electrical - Am I Allowed ?

Page 2 / 2
russ18, Sep 11, 6:32am

xc-coon, Sep 11, 6:34am
Choose an electrician out of the yellow pages.
Ring them.
Read them the original poster's question and see what answer you get. Time to start obeying the law guys.

russ18, Sep 11, 6:39am
But OP is asking about work they are legally allowed to do themselves provided they both own and occupy the house.

t_naki, Sep 11, 7:17am
Good luck with that, the likelihood they will not prosecute you if there is a fall is pretty small. They seem to have the attitude that if there is an accident then you have made a mistake somewhere.

wembley1, Sep 11, 7:17am
Which law (please cite) do you think is being broken? The OP asked about the disconnection and reconnection of two appliances.

ESR 57(3)(b) allows a home owner to carry out the "connecting and disconnecting [of] fixed-wired appliances"

What's the problem please?

t_naki, Sep 11, 7:21am
You are correct in that the ECP is very out of date but it is still legally in force. Funny how sparkies and home owners have to do work differently and to different standards. No wonder no inspectors want to sign off home owners work.

rojill, Sep 11, 8:47am

rojill, Sep 11, 8:52am

fhpottery, Sep 14, 4:36am
Oh thats funny you mean guy. Not everyone has the queens lingo.

fhpottery, Sep 14, 4:42am
True, I don't want to inspect things now. But after 30 years doing wiring I've come to the conclusion it's actually not good to DIY electrical work. How do I know? Well you cant see it, smell it, but electrical work has a nasty habit of being known to cause fires. When we are asleep, a house fire can have a tendency to kill us. Or our family.
I love DIY but even send my mower to the pros now. Just like the way they get things right.
I suppose changing a rangehood is not the end of the earth, gad zooks it's only three wires. BUT, can the home owner prove there is an earth? Testing is the problem. People assume.

fhpottery, Sep 14, 4:45am
. some house lighting circuits for example are run with earths but linked into an old unearthed circuit. DIY gone wrong. Tests prove this, and we get NAILED if WE get it wrong.
Watch some of the You Tube American home DIY wiring, it's really so different from NZ.

fhpottery, Sep 14, 4:56am
No apparently about it , its about to get much sillier and very expensive even for those not doing anything wrong. Give it another year and you will probably need a sign in / sign out book for the porta toilet, with proof of 2 hour induction on how to use toilet. Farts will become a near miss , having to be written on the accident register too. (quote):

Thats also funny dude. I think a SHART might be a case of retraining the employee.

rojill, Sep 14, 5:25am
I am well past my use by date as far as being employed but over the years I have accumulated quite a number of photographs of downright dangerous work done by so called electrical tradesmen . Also photos of damage done to timber studs by lazy plumbers trades people who seem to prefer drilling out the timber studs when routing pipework around rt/angle corners. The fact they have destroyed the structural strength of the load bearing studs does'nt appear to have registered on their tiny minds.
As far as electricians are concerned some of them have not even mastered the basics of making an electrically safe and mechanically secure connection.

rojill, Sep 14, 6:14am
Yep, there are good and poor practitioners as in any trade or occupation, including doctors, lawyers, dentists, surgeons, drainlayers and politicians.

t_naki, Sep 14, 8:42am
Even in new houses I have seen several sparkies not connect the earths in lighting circuits because they are not fitting metal light fittings. On a couple of occasions I have had stand up arguments with guys who just don't understand the most basic concept of earth continuity. Obviously no testing is being done or even an understanding of what testing is required, and this is from fully qualified guys. How would a home owner know that the fitting they were putting up was being connected to a circuit with no earth?

t_naki, Sep 14, 8:45am
Trouble is that with a lot of those professions those that are good are recognised as such and can charge a higher price. With the trades, people have an attitude that we are all the same and if you charge more because you do the job right then you miss out on work because customers think you are trying to rip them off.

deboo, Sep 16, 5:47am
Last time i got a electrician to add a bathroom outlet went under house later to find cable hard up to hotwater pipe

comsolve, Sep 16, 5:58am
Geez. I installed and wired up my ENTIRE off grid power system.

O.P. Don't listen to the bullcrap and FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) spread by sparkies and their anxiety-pushing cohorts. As long as you know how to wire it up (and which way around phase and neutral go - It's usually marked to make it easy).

Electrical fires are usually caused by old wiring. The sort of stuff useless sparkies pass all the time because they couldn't be arsed doing a megger test.

johotech, Sep 16, 6:05am
Did you have it inspected?

comsolve, Sep 16, 6:12am
Why would I pay someone to tell me what I already know?

PS: Ever tried to get a competent tradesperson in a rural area?

russ18, Sep 16, 6:52am
In what way do sparkies pass old wiring?

johotech, Sep 16, 7:29am
Really? You know more than a Electrical Inspector?

The reason you would pay someone, is so that your work can be certified, as required by law. Something your insurance company might want to know about some point.

marte, Sep 28, 7:50am
Falling off a ladder can be a 'career ending' situation.
Well it has been for a few people I know.

I once fell 4 metres (from boot sole to ground) off a ladder, hit a horizontal 1m dia steel tube on the way down, with my feet.
Then landed with both feet on the ground in a crouch.

I stood up and saw someone watching me, he saw it all.
White as a ghost, could not believe what he saw at all.
I stand up and turn around and walk off.

He told someone and they didn't believe it either. The rubber boot mark is still on the steel tube.
2 inches forward I would have landed flat on my face.
2 inches backwards I would have landed flat on my back over the steel tube.

I never chance things at heights anymore. Not worth it.