Electrical Help Please

sr2, May 24, 9:42am
Is there any legal requirement for a hard wired externally mounted gas Califont to have a separate RCD as well as the DB board circuit breaker? (It has what appears to be an external double pole isolation switch).

Thanks in anticipation of the multitude of learned responses.

raven71, May 24, 10:08am
If it's a new circuit there's a requirement for an RCD.

sr2, May 24, 10:31am
It's existing, thanks.

johotech, May 24, 10:36am
No RCD is required if it is hard wired.

ryanm2, May 24, 7:37pm
check with your installer if hard wired is ok - i know here in chch some firms dont allow hard wired califonts anymore.

russ18, May 24, 8:37pm
Yep, no RCD required for a hardwired appliance and it certainly doesn't need to be on its own circuit with its own circuit protection, it would typically be connected to the most convenient power point circuit - provided it tests ok.

johotech, May 24, 9:24pm
Anyone care to guess what rule they think they are following?

tiny15, May 25, 12:46am
The rule that lets them sell you a water proof outdoor plug & socket with a 700% mark up on the price they paid for it !

ryanm2, May 25, 7:07am
I think its so you dont have to line up the sparky with the gas fitter. If the sparky is first, mounts his powerpoint, the gas fitter can then come along at any stage and mount the califont, plug it in, test his water and done.
However, as in my case, if you dont have a detailed location you may mount the powerpoint in the wrong spot.

ryanm2, May 25, 7:08am
Also, i know gas fitters can just leave the califont running off an extension lead for the time being.

ryanm2, May 25, 7:10am
Also, if the unit does fail at any point (probably a bosch) the service agent / gas fitter may have to replace the unit, if the unit is hardwired they then need a sparky to disconnect and reinstall.

johotech, May 25, 7:18am
Yes I know that having a waterproof power point is the easiest option for installation & the service company, but there are some experienced sparkies that only install with hard wired isolators.

In any case, there isn't any rule that prohibits either method.

sr2, May 26, 7:51am
Thanks guys, with the deluge of responses and opinions I managed to fix the problem in between rain showers on Sunday. All posts were very much appreciated, as a source of information this MB rocks!

I checked with an electrical engineer today and russ18 was bang on it!

rotormotor7, May 26, 8:23am
Good result then.
Gasfitters/plumbers when I fit a hardwired isolator moan as for servicing/warranty replacements they need to get a sparky round to disconnect the flex rather than just unplug unit fom a power point.

carter19, Dec 31, 5:44am
And that cost is passed on to customers which can be very expensive if the customer is unaware of the hardwiring . Eg plumber drives for an hour to rural job, finds it hardwired, no sparky available so returns to base with no work done. Goes back the next day. Customer gets charged a small fortune twice. Plug is a better way to go IMO.