What is wrong with my tomatoes?

kevpat, Jan 24, 9:16pm
Money Maker is the variety. They look okay on the outside but have a hard crust in the centre and under the skin. I have grown tomatoes for many years and have never had this problem before. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

wasgonna, Jan 24, 9:23pm
Yep. Stopped growing them a couple of seasons ago for the same reason. No idea what it is. Found Roma to be the best since.

happychappy50, Jan 25, 1:44am
Have grown 3 plants this yr,all self sown from compost bin,1st lot are about to be picked,they have had no fungicide sprays & show no signs of blight,have put it down to being grown in compost,1st time I have tried this,same as my spuds

lythande1, Jan 25, 9:07am
What hard? pale hard? In which case it's a reaction to high temps and reduced water.

lythande1, Jan 25, 9:09am
And back in history, what do you think food was grown in? Didn't prevent the Irish potato famine.
Blight isn't that common you know, and late blight is more common than early blight, regardless of what they are grown in.
However home made compost is far better than the rubbish you buy in garden centres for nourishment and balanced nutrition.

kevpat, Jan 25, 9:17am
White hard crust mainly on the top 1/3 of tomato. Only the bottom section of tomato can be used. I was wondering if I was not watering enough during the dry spell . and now we have this really hot weather. I will go back to growing beef steak next year.

rainrain1, Jan 25, 10:56am
I have a friend who grows beautiful tomatoes each year, she swears by the Beefsteak

mac934, Jan 25, 7:26pm
Hard pale yellow on top of tomatoes usually means too much sun. We get this in the glasshouse if we don’t leave enough leaves to shade it.

tourer100, Jan 25, 9:12pm
Home made compost can only be nutritionally balanced if it had all the right additives in it, you can’t just chuck stuff in and call it balanced.

kiwimade64, Jan 26, 8:14am
could be blight and a reaction to the high humidity and lack of water. If you are on water restrictions or rain water then it's hard yakker gardening. We're having our best year for years with our tomatoes. It's the runner beans we're having issue with as there is no repeat flowering so no beans.

cantabman1, Jan 26, 8:26am
I decided to grow beefsteak this year, as I got little fruit from the Toms I grew last year [Early Girl], so decided to go for bulk.
So far, i have bottled 5 1 lb jars and have heaps more coming on.
No sprays so far, but I think I will need to apply a fungiside soon heading into late Summer Autumn, also for the Golden Queen peach which always seans to rot out before picking.

hayster94, Jan 26, 11:30am
I'm growing sweet 100's this year. I have had some issues with aphids and whitefly so have sprayed my plants a few times with an insecticide which fixed it. Now I'm picking over 1kg of cherry tomatoes each day.

trade4us2, Jan 6, 3:57pm
My sweet 100s usually last from December until October. But after all the recent rain they seem to have given up producing tomatoes at all.