What are your monthly winter heating costs?!

stuffed, Jan 17, 3:48pm
Have heard some horror stories about how much some are paying to keep warm in the Central Otago area during winter.
One family brought their recently deceased mothers home and found that her monthly power bills were up to $1500!
That quite simply is down to bad design and managing heating options.
Our 33 year old home has gas and electric heating plus the big yellow thingie in the sky. We have an outside spa (that is used every day) and while there are only 2 of us we frequently have mobs here for the winter sports for quite a few days.
Our average power and gas bill (for the 4 winter months) is about $500 per
month.
For those of you in colder areas - how do your heating costs compare?

lythande1, Jan 17, 3:54pm
I don't know really, pay $140 all year each month, but I pay and build up credit over summer, so no low high business.

maclad, Jan 17, 4:10pm
Same as in the summer, nothing. Fortunately I have a wood burner and can source and deal to my own free firewood, for the cost of the petrol to collect and cut it. Plus a bit of my own energy cutting and storing it. I am very lucky.

harrislucinda, Jan 17, 4:11pm
we have solar panels but still get power bill of $120

ryanm2, Jan 17, 4:27pm
Last winter here in Chch I think we hit $300 combined gas and power bill over the colder months. Its not bad, we only have electric heating ( heat pump and radiant heaters ) there are 4 of us plus we have guests through airbnb but thats mostly hot water usage. We are with Flick, but last winter as prices spiked we switched to Electric Kiwi, we have switched back to flick. Currently in Summer we average between $12 - $15 a week as Flick is billed weekly.

holly-rocks, Jan 17, 4:32pm
About $300 in rural Dunedin, and there are only 2 of us. We live in an old house with very high ceilings and large rooms.

biggles45, Jan 17, 5:05pm
Last winter in Southland our power bills were around $180 - 200 a month. That was in a villa with roof insulation only, running a heat pump 24/7 and another one for maybe 4 or 5 hours a day, electric hot water.

farwest, Jan 11, 4:06pm
I live in St Kilda, Dunedin. Our highest power bill for a month last winter was $124 - and the gas charge for water heating about $60 for that month. The house is 40 years old, insulated (superinsulated in the ceiling) and double glazed.