Plumber $75 per hr Plumbers wife $35 per hr.

Page 1 / 3
wfl1, May 6, 10:33am
Here is the situation I am mostly a DIY person but in this case my wife was in hospital and too busy to sort out low pressure problem at farm rental house. Called local plumber and met him on site and explained situation and told him my thoughts were faulty apex vale (which was correct) Plumber was accompanied by his wife ,replaced faulty valve (good pressure now - ( was a easy fix valve not under house, outside beside water tank) Invoice arrives 1 1/2 hrs labour plumber ,plumbers wife 1 1/2 hrs labour. Not one to complain but what i consider to be a 1/2 - 1 hr job for 1 person and then to charge out his wife as well . The tennants did say she did fetch a few tools from his van .Pay up and shut up or say something ?

jan2242, May 6, 10:35am
Say something. Time we stood up to these rip offs.

golfdiver, May 6, 10:47am
How long would the job have taken without the wife at only plumbers’ rates?

wfl1, May 6, 10:52am
She had to walk a bout 10 meters to fetch some tools so virtually no difference

apollo11, May 6, 2:23pm
Wish I could charge out my wife.

lythande1, May 6, 3:07pm
It's like 2 plumbers. She can legally be his assistant.
So no you can't complain.

krames, May 6, 3:26pm
wifes rate would have been less than that of tradesman.You cant say it should only be a 1/2 hour job ,your not a tradesman you dont know.
Travel time/picking up materials=off site time .
pay it or next time do it yourself and hope you have done it correct

pauldw, May 6, 3:39pm
Who cares if she can be his assistant. Does it need 2 plumbers 1.5hrs to change 1 valve? There was no mention of anyone driving off for parts. Next job in the school holidays he'll be trying to put the kids on the payroll.

krames, May 6, 3:41pm
he may of had one in his van but he needs to replace it.does he do it in his own time?

cagivachick1, May 6, 3:56pm
its a rip off dont pay her portion, let him take you to disputes tribunal and see what they make of it

maclad, May 6, 3:59pm
Like this option

krames, May 6, 4:02pm
she was his apprentice for the day, whats the difference its all labour that needs charged out isnt it?

maclad, May 6, 4:11pm
Not necessarily, maybe it is just a lonely bored wife who needs to be with her man 24/7. You never know. But I certainly would not be paying for her.

cagivachick1, May 6, 4:13pm
i have been self employed for 35 years in the building game and this charging for his missus to sit beside him in the van is a rip off

krames, May 6, 4:18pm
we dont know the full story ,maybe she is training.

cagivachick1, May 6, 4:22pm
then the plumber should have made that clear to the client

androth2, May 6, 4:34pm
i know a plumber who's daughter is also a trained plumber and she helps him sometimes but he charges for the job not each

krames, May 6, 4:41pm
good point

ebygum1, May 6, 6:29pm
Bet you a bottle of whiskey you will lose. That is not an unreasonable charge, easily justified, the fact that his assistant is his wife is irrelevant. He will be able to detail his charges to meet that invoice.

210sback, May 6, 7:12pm
did the job take an 1.5hrs out of his day including traveling to and from the job?if so it's fair if not ask him why he has Overstated his time?
You have to remember with tradesman the time that is charged is what the whole job takes out of his day,if travel takes an 1.5 hrs the job take 20 mins then you going to get charged 2 hrs.

carter19, May 6, 7:21pm
U can check to see whether she has a license as legally she needs one.

krames, May 6, 7:25pm
no she doesnt the work done is in his name not hers

wfl1, May 6, 7:26pm
His workshop is only 5 minutes drive away, more to the point is his wife riding around with him who is not a plumber or a apprentice plumber but being charged out .

socram, May 6, 7:32pm
Assistant at $35 an hour? Under training at $35 an hour? Get real.

An apprentice usually does far more than fetch the tools and is charged out a lot less, but is supposed to be learning the job.

Did it NEED two people to do the job?

No wonder there is opposition by the self employed tradies to take on apprentices, when they know damn well they could charge themselves out at $75 an hour and just take 5 minutes longer, without stinging the householder for an extra $20+ an hour, let alone $35.

carter19, May 6, 7:39pm
]
The PGDB view licensing differently. Anyone who is "helping" a plumber who is not a registered plumber needs to have an Exemption under Supervision License. This Is what they told Mrs C when she wanted to help her brother.