What’s eating my spinach , how to stop em!

ryanm2, Sep 5, 5:12pm
Have tried some of that Yates spray but hasn’t really worked . Something is attacking my spinach but leaving the pak / bok choi alone. Any help muchly appreciated.

rainrain1, Sep 5, 5:36pm
the bloody birds. cover with bird netting. little devils, swines. bah, humbug!

articferrit, Sep 5, 5:48pm
probably sparrows, try feeding them somewhere not near your veges.

rainrain1, Sep 5, 5:58pm
Not a good idea, feeding them attracts them to the garden in the first place, so they enjoy the spinach while they're there

ryanm2, Sep 5, 6:13pm
Birds eat spinach? Well I never.

aisling8, Sep 5, 6:30pm
Cover with bird netting. They shredded our silver beet. You can make 1/2 hoops out of good old kiwi no.8 wire or alkathene or whatever (hula hoops cut in half from $2 shop work) and make a little tunnel house. Make hoops as high and as wide as you want. If netting is fine enough will keep out white butterfly too.

gph1961, Sep 5, 8:14pm
popeye?

lyingnun, Sep 5, 8:41pm
I found some strange little beetle things had turned my silverbeet into sieves but did not touch my spinach. I had never seen these bugs before.

daves, Sep 5, 8:44pm
Use Olive Oyl.

retrogold, Sep 6, 10:13am
I hung an old cd near the silverbeet to stop birds eating it, works well.

starseeker, Sep 6, 4:54pm
Snails & slugs, look under the leaves & down in the centre of the plant, also earwigs can be culprits

wheelz, Sep 6, 7:16pm
Earwigs are the more likely culprit. An easy fix is to scrunch newspaper into balls and place amongst the leaves. next morning, take a bucket and collect the balls, shake out multitudes of earwigs!

omaria, Sep 13, 8:03am
Popeye offspring?

wasgonna, Sep 13, 4:38pm
Holes in the leaves will almost certainly be earwigs which like to hide further down in the stalks. Never seen birds even look at spinach or silverbeet.

ryanm2, Sep 13, 5:25pm
Yeah , I’m thinking the same. Although I netted and put bait down at the same time so unsure what was eating it ( also attacking the bok choi too )

rainrain1, Sep 26, 5:47pm
Oh but they do, I've seen the little culprits dining on my silverbeet.