Lightweight mower for slope

mommabean, Dec 11, 4:35pm
my lawn mower has finally given up, blessing in disguise. Would really like to buy one i can manage on a slope my old one was too heavy and i needed to weedwhack which i hate. Can anyone recommend a lightweight mower (for a woman) that could handle a sloping lawn. Its not a huge area. I would really like it to have a catcher
cheers Tania

wasgonna, Dec 11, 5:03pm
I've seen people using a Flymo in that situation. Its light and you can just swing it on the slope. Obviously doesn't have a catcher.

maclad, Dec 11, 6:11pm
Ditto, same here.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 11, 7:08pm
Stihl 36v cordless electric, I am mowint my 1/3 acre section of kaikuia grass with the small one. Wouldn't ever have a petrol mower again and it's stupid stupid light.

Just don't get tempted with the Ryobi and other "cheaper" ones. The Sthil on sale is really good value and goes on sale regularly. The only comparable one was the Makita but it's just as expensive and has no mulch kit. You may choose to mulch as small mower means small catcher. I just mow without catcher and no mulch kit. It seems to mulch just fine like that as well.

Don't freak at the price, it actually works out crazy cheap over time as there are effectively no direct running and maintenance costs. I have had it apart and it's beautifully made inside. Once you own the expensive battery and charger consider the other products in the range as they are then cheap to add.

My 2C

bergkamp, Dec 11, 10:22pm
have you considered a push mower ? modern ones are ultra lightweight , cheap , no fuel . and a great workout

mack77, Dec 11, 11:44pm
I suggest that you consider a self-propelled mower; that's what I use.

the-lada-dude, Dec 12, 6:28pm
# 4 or # 6 . i'd be tempted by # 6

mouse265, Dec 12, 9:54pm
flymow or airmow they don't have catchers but float on a cushion of air

mommabean, Dec 12, 10:06pm
Thanks all
Mack77 can you tell me what you use, are you on a slope?

oh_hunnihunni, Dec 12, 10:15pm
Another vote for a Flymo.

thejazzpianoma, Dec 12, 11:31pm
I considered both, but can tell you the Stihl electric is the far better choice. It's so light it's actually easier to handle than a self-propelled. Especially on a slope. Hang, I can even mow perfectly comfortably with one hand while enjoying a whiskey float. That includes lifting it on to two wheels sideways for big holes etc.

It's one of those things you just have to try to appreciate (both the whiskey float and the mower)

mack77, Dec 12, 11:48pm
My lawn is on a slope and I use a Lawnmaster self propelled mower and I don't catch the clippings. I have had it for a year and have found that it doesn't suit my requirements as well as I would like and it has developed some problems already.
It doesn't perform very well in long grass because it has to discharge through the rear and this results in it clogging due to the obstruction of the rear axle.
The air filter is mounted on the motor and being so low it blocks up very quickly when mowing over patches of dry earth. An air filter mounted on the push handle doesn't suffer from this problem.

My mower is called a Lawnmaster Widecut 850 SP with an advertised cutting width of 530mm. This is clearly incorrect as the cutting width is only about 480mm. It has three speeds of propulsion but only one speed works on my mower now and to get drive to the rear wheels I need to bounce the rear of the mower up and down and push it forward at the same time. I will return it soon to hopefully get some of these problems solved.
I believe that I made the wrong choice of mower for my use. Upon reading other peoples comments on self propelled mowers I have come to the conclusion that a Toro 2WD or a Toro 4WD mower would be a much better choice for my type of use. They have a side discharge when being used without the catcher which if anything like my old Victa 550 push mower should cut and discharge the grass much better than any rear discharge mower. My old "Victa 550 side discharge" (two stroke) is ten times better than my new "Lawnmaster 850 SP" at cutting and discharging long grass and it cuts 550mm wide! The only problem for me now is that it isn't self propelled.

Toro mowers are sold by Mitre 10 etc or may be able to be bought online from the importer/distributor.

mack77, Dec 12, 11:54pm
I forgot to mention that Toro SP mowers do have two differences to the Lawnmaster SP mowers which may be a disadvantage to some users.
1. All the wheels have to be adjusted individually to change the mowing height.
2. The body is made from steel rather than aluminium.

rsr72, Dec 13, 11:43am
Only one, the Honda HRX self-propelled, 21'' cut, built-in mulch-bag lever, made in America, and reviewed as America's best mower. The 'Rolls-Royce' of walk-behind mowers. Superb to use.
-there are other Honda models as well.

colin433, Dec 16, 1:17pm
don't forget that when mowing on a slope you need a mower that runs on petrol alone, not a mixture, something to do with the two fluids not mixing properly. Too long ago for me to remember which it is, 2 stroke, or 4 stroke, but any sales person will enlighten you

mtbotrev, Dec 16, 9:36pm
I used to use a flymo and rope to get down really steep banks. worked well

pauldw, Dec 17, 12:06am
You've got it completely rs about face. On steep slopes you need a 2 stroke that has the oil in the petrol. In a 4 stroke the oil in the bottom of the engine could move away from the pickup or up into the cylinder.

I know so many people that have either had an accident with a flymo or a near miss that I think if a flymo is the answer, get rid of the grass and plant something else. At the moment my lawn is brown. If the weather stays like this less grass might be a good idea.

smallwoods, Jan 27, 3:50pm
Super strong motors and quiet.
Just got their weed eater, been Husquvarna for decades.