Paulownia trees

bill1451, Oct 22, 8:14pm
back in the 90,s these were going to be the new gold, then the bubble burst.
I want to grow some for a hobby, anyone out there grown from seed, as growing from seed is supposedly not easy, any hints thanks.

zak410, Oct 22, 9:35pm
Since they coppice, they may start from cuttings ?

A twig of it in water may even root. (I use rain water for that. )

lalbagh, Oct 23, 7:20am
They sucker easily from damaged or truncated roots- if you can sever a small root, and wait, or dig out a piece of root with a sucker attached, that will start a new tree.I had a small one once, when I shifted it the severed roots at the first location sprouted, and I ended up with about three trees this way

woody89, Oct 23, 9:37am
I have two adult trees & every year soon after flowers drop seedlings pop up around the paddock they're in. I wouldn't have thought growing from seed was difficult? Basically they seem to come up amongst the long grass, if that helps you mimic those conditions?

serf407, Oct 23, 10:01am
Read up on the handbook. There are a number of different species some are better suited in various areas than others.
http://www.nzffa.org.nz/farm-forestry-model/species/paulownia/

golfdiver, Oct 23, 10:05am
Aren’t they susceptible to emboli in dry conditions?

maclad, Oct 23, 12:10pm
Same here, we get so many seedlings they are almost weedy.

music_note, Oct 24, 4:37am
I saw an article online yesterday about a farmer who has planted paulownia on his farm, which has made the stream/river there the 'second cleanest in NZ' - I can't find it though. maybe someone else can.
He's won an environmental award because of the resulting cleaner environment.

nala2, Oct 24, 9:29am
We had a large one and they have an interesting growth habit. They have very large leaves until they mature and flower around 5-7 years, then the leaves reduce in size from then on. I have heard of people cutting them right to the base so they do not mature as they like the tropical looking large leaves on the immature growth. They are prone to stem borer and ours was riddled with it.

barbmac33, Oct 24, 6:31pm
Our new Property has one.We had never heard of them let alone seeing one. We got a shock to see it when it flowered.And elsewhere in the Garden it's sprouting up,so I'll pot it up and if it survives I'll give it to a Friend.
Apparently they are also known as A Princess Tree from China
When a Baby Girl is born her Parents plant one and as she grows up it also gets taller. When she gets Married it is cut down and turned into a set of draws for her Trousseau. Well that's the story I was told. whether it's true or not I don't know. But I luv it.
Here is our one,dropping its flowers.
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/661370986.jpg

dete, Oct 29, 2:46pm
They will sucker anywhere. I wouldn't recommend them for the garden but in an open paddock they are alright as the stock will eat the suckers to control them.

junie2, Oct 29, 5:26pm
Yours is a beautiful shape barbmac. Ours is flower laden too but just getting a little scraggly I think. I planted it about 30 yrs old and we never have a sucker problem. Have never had a seedling either, but the funny thing is that an old friend gave me one of his potted geraniums, and up popped a paulownia! I

maclad, Feb 24, 3:06pm
I have never seen them sucker