Cabbage trees

sophie145, Mar 30, 4:38am
can you chop down cabbage trees on your property? Somewhere in the back of my mind something is saying cannot do. Anyone.

maclad, Mar 30, 4:39am
Go for it they are not protected

reggienz, Mar 30, 9:57am
Of course you can, they are a weed, and definitly not protected.

zak410, Mar 30, 10:12am
. and they will sprout again.

venna2, Mar 30, 8:27pm
I have had two or three cut down, as they were too close to the house and blocked up the roof gutters (they were already there when I bought the house, I didn't plant them). I wouldn't say they're a weed - they're native trees and fine in the right place. But I wouldn't worry about being prosecuted - just do it. And yes, they sprout again, so you have to watch them.

sophie145, Mar 30, 9:25pm
Phew relief thankyou all for letting me know the situation re cabbage trees.

jane310567, Mar 31, 2:01am
Frowned upon here - they are dying off so they want people to keep the healthy ones - we got rid of a few before the council came to inspect the house when building. We kept the best ones - we love the look!

pericles, Mar 31, 2:08am
they look nice but are a weed as far as we are concerned, and watch out, for your lawn mower. Get caught around the blades and stuffs the lawnmower up

ceejay13, Mar 31, 2:45am
Go for it but the buggers re-sprout, I am dealing with this at the moment they really test your patience. I hate them.

maclad, Feb 18, 1:53pm
Control resprouting by painting "fresh" cuts with Vigilant gel or let them resprout but cut them back again before they get to be a problem. I like cabbage trees in the right place and a nice compact smaller cluster can look really good especially if snails and caterpillars are controlled so the leaves do not become tatty.