Fast growing privacy trees and shrubs

Page 1 / 2
mbi15, Jan 8, 7:43pm
I've just had a new boundry fence 2m high built which is great. But because the neighbours are quite close and up higher than me and two of my privacy trees/shrubs were actually Privet and are being removed. I want to plant something that will grow to 3 to 4 m high reasonably quickly if possible.

Is it possible to buy plants that are already quite big?

maclad, Jan 8, 7:58pm
You can get them but you will pay big prices. There are fast growing plants you could get in smaller grades. Many NZ natives and Australian plants grow fast and they my serve your needs.
Pittosporum, Dodonea, Banksia, Manuka come immediately to mind but there are many more.

dibble35, Jan 8, 8:15pm
You can buy 2m plus trees for sure, We sell some plants that big for approx $130 - $150 , but we are a well priced garden centre compared to most. Just remember anything fast growing usually will get much bigger than the 3-4 metres you are wanting. If you are happy to keep them trimmed down to 3-4m then go for something like Lily Pily or Photinia red robin, these are both really quick growing plants

scruff71, Jan 8, 8:49pm
Pittosporum tenufolium Emerald Gem or Mountain Gem (sorry, cannot remember which one). The leaves are more attractive than the lemonwood variety. We bought five to cover a three metre-wide gap over 5 years ago to replace a bush privet hedge. In the first year I trimmed them back gently to encourage bushy growth and now they are maintained at three metres, giving us the privacy we were seeking. They do not look out of place with the older sections of Acmena. I have Lily Pily in another section but find these a little slower growing than the Pittosporum, and they are susceptible to pysllids.

mbi15, Jan 8, 9:12pm
What about Camellia's? Or would they be much slower than Pittisporums etc?

trad, Jan 9, 7:42am
Virgilia

harm_less, Jan 9, 8:27am
Griselinia littoralis
Reasonably fast growing, 3-4m maximum height, hardy including drought and coastal, responds well to trimming. (Palatable to livestock)

scruff71, Jan 9, 10:10am
I believe camellias would be slower growing than the various Australian and NZ natives mentioned above but would certainly look prettier. Camellia sansanqua are strong growing and up to 4-5 metres.

tangerina, Jan 14, 12:37pm
Ficus Tuffy is a popular screening plant in Auckland. May not like frost though.

The Lily Pilly would have been favourable but it is vulnerable to the Myrtle rust that is currently spreading in NZ.

The thing I don't like about Griselina is it is susceptible to drought.

eljayv, Jan 14, 1:04pm
I used this for screening, fast growing and beautiful too

lakeview3, Jan 14, 2:18pm
hi there, get the stump ground for the privet otherwise it will come back. For a fast growing hedge you are better off buying smaller plants and feeding well. We bought big and small and found the smaller ones actually grew better in the long run. I would go for pittosporum tenufolium lemonwood, fastest growing, doesn’t mind a good prune. Or another option but slower growing is pseudopanax. Both evergreen. Both can handle a prune.

lakeview3, Jan 14, 2:19pm
Lily pily are no good in a frost. Griselina is good as a hedge too.

annie393, Aug 2, 2:21pm
I need advice please. How do I get rid of psyllids on Lilly Pilly. Hope someone can help. thanks

cagivachick1, Aug 2, 5:17pm
virgillia (sp) fast growing south african, goes to 7 meters

gpg58, Aug 2, 5:31pm
Pittosporum eugenioides(lemonwood) was recommended to me as one of the fastest, and certainly worked well as a hedge of 40 plants in my case. I bought decent size plants to start off, and had tips above 6ft fence in 2 years, and full cover within 4.
They like well prepared soil in each hole, and being watered daily or more, for best quick results
https://www.southernwoods.co.nz/shop/pittosporum-eugenoides/

samanya, Aug 2, 6:24pm
I've just planted a couple of these , 8' tall ($75 each on special) to try to fill a gap, where my neighbour took a couple of pines out of a boundary hedge adjoining my road frontage,( he asked & I agreed) but it exposed my property (rural) from the road more than I ever imagined. I looked at the existing ones on my property & thought yep, they spread wide enough, they can be trimmed back hard if needs be, & they are evergreen & blackbirds love to nest in them.

finelawns, Aug 2, 7:59pm
x1
morrinsville is to cold for Lilly pilly / Eugenia and bug issues make these plants unsightly and to cold and wet for ficus tuffy. Pittosporum have a short life span. Grisilenia struggle with long dry summers global warming has made these plants unpopular. Titoki are ideal for what you want. I love kohekohe as they require little trimming on the tops and would be ideal for what you mention but they need a good quality soil. Camelia aren’t quite right. Pshuedo phanax Cyril Watson would be good. Just remember fast growing plants require regular maintainence which is costly at 3meters. A number of podrocarps from Sth Africa have become popular such as Henkel and mani. Hope that helps, keep in mind our changing weather is effecting a lot of plants simply because trees hate being trimmed in the warm months. We would plant several hundred trees a month and can tell you tree stick of larger plants is a challenge to source

articferrit, Aug 2, 8:31pm
tree lucerne?

amasser, Aug 3, 2:54pm
Do you have adequate space for larger trees, remembering that the roots may impinge on the neighbour's side, or damage the fence? Be wary of the height shown on nursery labels.
Would net or shear curtains be a consideration?

colin433, Aug 4, 2:42pm
This is what I was going to suggest. There are two varieties, one grows larger than the other. One has larger leaves. I think the larger one is what you need.

susan, Aug 10, 6:08am
Agree. Whose property are these tall trees going to shade? If they are going to shade your neighbours property then consider their feelings. You may also be blocking their right to a view of the surrounding landscape. Why don’t you consider putting privacy film on your windows?

max.headroom, Aug 15, 4:30pm
Copper spray sorts those little pests out

dibble35, Aug 15, 6:40pm
Why would copper spray kill an insect pest? Copper is a fungicide - for fungal problems. For psyllid you would need an insecticide such as Confidor - pretty nasty stuff though. Or i'm sure there are some less lethal chemicals you could use.

funkydunky, Aug 17, 9:04am
Whatever you do please do not plant these (lilly pilly / monkey apple etc)
www.weedbusters.org.nz/weed-information/syzygium-smithii/59/
Not only will your future be consumed by constant trimming to control, they are also an irritant and a self seeding pest in our forests

andrac63, Aug 19, 9:43pm
phebalium