Tomatoe Growing Tip

cantabman1, Oct 20, 7:31pm
Plant a rotten banana under each tomatoe before planting it out. Break it up with a hand trowel first. Your toms will be the envy of all your friends and family.
Last year mine grew over the top of the garage roof.

mojo49, Oct 20, 9:41pm
My mother always used to put milk powder under her tomato plants. Last crop she grew went right over the house roof and in through the kitchen window. Really handy. Didn't need a fruit bowl.

lythande1, Oct 21, 7:12am
We just feed them with compost and manure, no silly fads specifying a particular vegetable.

speeedy1, Oct 21, 9:47am
This was passed to me by a dear old friend, Mona B. 1 tsp each of milk powder and Flowers of Sulphur mixed in the plant zone for each plant will prevent blight and bottom end rot. It works.
Of course, lythande1 is correct. Being fed good nourishment, plants do better. Don't we all?

malcovy, Oct 21, 2:52pm
I will be fishing all the banana peels and egg shells out of the worm farm and planting them under the tomatoes today. I won't let the bananas rot for tomatoes, I work too hard to throw them away.

brightlights60, Oct 21, 7:32pm
My parents used to do that too. A teaspoon at the bottom of the roots whilst planting. They love the calcium.

oh_hunnihunni, Oct 21, 10:29pm
Skim or trim?

lucytoo, Oct 22, 10:46am
will tomatoes do well where chickens have recently been cooped?

mojo49, Oct 22, 10:51am
Full cream!

mojo49, Oct 22, 10:53am
and pooped. There will be a look of nitrogen in the soil which will promote stem and leaf growth, but possibly at the expense of fruit. Best to grow a high nitrogen demand crop first. Nitrogen levels will drop quite quickly as the N washes out of the soil very quickly.

oopie, Feb 26, 1:43pm
I make banana skin tea. Chop the skins up, pour over boiling water, leave to cool. Feed liquid to plant and scraps to compost.