Need a new Mower

pisces47, Aug 12, 4:26pm
My good one of 20 years just packed a sad and stopped after smoking a lot. Oil covering air filter so looks like a valve and maybe rings needed. With the cost of repairing ? looking at a new mower. $300 to $600 at Mitre 10. They have Jobmate, Morrison, and Massport. Seems they all come with B & S engines. So many to choose from. Any suggestions. Only takes me 20 min to mow our lawns so not a big job. Thanks for any advice

ceebee2, Aug 14, 1:04am
I am a B & S man as I also have had 2 B & S lawn mowers in the last 35 years. Speaks for itself really.
As Tegretol mentions service whatever you buy EVERY 12 months irreespective and replace the oil / spark plug / service / replace the air filter / sharpen blade.
To add and aluminium body will far outlast any steel one.

shaun16, Aug 14, 6:13am
B&S engines are on most mowers even the cheaper ones. my lawnmower was cheapish from bunnings and has B&S and it works fine.

lythande1, Aug 14, 8:23am
Whether your lawn is big or not is not the point.
Yes Honda is tops in quality, Jobmate etc, wouldn't touch them with a barge pole.
In the mid range, anything with a Briggs and Stratton motor.
20 yrs? Did you do it's maintenance? we have a used one, had for 18 yrs now, old when bought, still going, it is starting to burn oil now, but it's not so bad we want to change it or the motor yet.

pisces47, Aug 14, 1:24pm
Always cleaned. Oil changed, plug cleaned, new air filter. Made a big clunk, bang several months ago and started smoking on starting. This time ran for 2 minutes after starting and got slower and slower with no throttle response. Got a LawnMaster today. B & S engine, cast alloy body, Cut and Mulch. 4 blades.

john7891, Sep 25, 3:04pm
For a 20 minute law you should also look at battery power lawn mower.