Had any success growing store

reeb, Aug 31, 5:20pm
potatoes as seed? seed potatoes way to expensive to be viable.

samanya, Aug 31, 5:43pm
I have thrown a few sprouted potatoes into the garden (when I've found them lurking & growing in the depths of my pantry) & have got a crop from them, probably not as productive as the certified seed potatoes. Some reckon they are sprayed not to grow, never been a problem, here . no adverse effects, that I know of. ;o)

lil_lass, Aug 31, 5:50pm
Agree with above, had heaps sprouting at this time last year so just kept all the last few in bags and threw them all in. Got a heap of potatoes from a small lot. This year I'm saving even more :-)

annies3, Aug 31, 6:26pm
We have grown potatoes from our own saved seed potatoes for many years we do buy the odd seed potatoes for different varieties, but the majority just nice shaped smaller ones we save.

reeb, Aug 31, 6:40pm
was supposed to say "certified" in case anybody goes weird about my post, thanks thus far

colin433, Sep 1, 7:05pm
I'm pretty sure they must dust all their potatoes with something, I know not what since dormatone was banned.
If they sell washed potatoes they could then wash the powder off before bagging for sale.
We kept potatoes for many years using dormatone. Had a great success with potatoes for the table, then when we wanted more seed potatoes, we just washed them, and they sprouted.
We had a variety that seems to have died a natural death. Robinta. They were the nicest tasting potatoes we had even eaten, gave the seed potatoes to our son when we were moving to a smaller property, he in turn broke his leg and passed the potatoes to his mate, who, instead of planting them, ate them all, and we lost the strain.
We were SO THRILLED (not! )

wheelz, Sep 3, 6:54pm
Ohh I remember Robinta, they're a very close rival, if not better than the Agria. A market grower here used to grow them, but hadn't been able to get seed spuds.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 4, 9:34am
Certified because they are free from virus and disease that can wipe out a crop and spread to commercial crops very easily.

berry2, Sep 7, 5:39am
Exactly how do you think potatoes developed if not saved by gardeners for many many many years before companies took over and suddenly they have to be certified?

cantabman1, Sep 7, 9:24am
Old store bought spuds that sprout are not dusted. I have grown heaps over the years, with mixed success.

meoldchina, Sep 7, 8:04pm
On the subject of seed potatoes - I was in Bunnings (Nelson) today and I was told that their supplier of "Swift" has sold out and there will be no more available. A quick search on here shows only one listing of "Swift". This is annoying as it's my favourite. Any recommendations for a fast-growing early potato will be gratefully received.

kaddiew, Sep 8, 8:16am
I have Swift just poking up above ground. Bought them at The Warehouse, who had loads of them. Can't recall which, but currently they have either Swift or Rocket (an equally early, fast growing spud) in their clearance bin here for $5 a 2kg bag. Might be worth checking your branch.

oh_hunnihunni, Sep 28, 5:45pm
Ever heard of the Irish potato famine?