Has anyone stained their deck a dark colour?

j96, Apr 2, 6:51pm
I'd like to do ours in a charcoal color, oil based. Am thinking of diluting it so the grain shows through. Has anyone had issues with using a dark colour? Will it make the wood cup/warp more? Also can i dilute it with turps?

pskpinks, Apr 2, 6:56pm
Any dark colour will attract heat to the surface it is painted or stained. The heat causes the wood to expand and bow. Sometimes it can split at the nailed ends. It is always uncomfortably hot when you are barefoot. I wouldn't do the deck in a charcoal but you might not mind if there are problems.

j96, Apr 2, 7:51pm
I dont want brown :-) what about if it was really diluted so its like a washed out grey?

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 2, 8:01pm
My deck is painted mid gray. In summer it burns bare feet. Painfully.

blans, Apr 2, 8:10pm
oh_hunnihunni wrote:
My deck is painted mid gray. In summer it burns bare feet. Painfully. [/quoteI I stained mine with resene natural colour and even that got too hot this summer.

lythande1, Apr 3, 4:32pm
Mine is painted charcoal grey. Not me, although I don't mind it. Yes it's so hot in summer you can't stand on it in bare feet. But then we don't so who cares.
Been that way about 35 years a I estimate.

roseyglow, Apr 4, 6:51pm
warning DONT DO IT!

j96, Apr 4, 8:05pm
damn its not looking good. Might have to look at a transparent coating rather than a colour

budgel, Apr 5, 12:06pm
I painted mine with a walnut colour, it looked good but was hot to walk on.
5 years later I scrubbed it down and gave it another coat. It has come out so much darker and now the wood has cracks in it from the summer heat.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 5, 12:30pm
35 years is a good life for a paint job.

thistle4, Apr 7, 9:35am
We have just replaced our deck. The old one was painted a dark green and it burnt our feet in summer. Our new deck has a lovely green stain on it, would never go back to a painted deck.

oh_hunnihunni, Apr 7, 11:12am
Next summer, I'm buying me a nice plastic rug. Of course, it might melt.

retrogold, Apr 7, 12:27pm
My deck is done in a fetching red stain called seina from resene woodsman and I don't notice it being too hot in summer for bare feet, it looks good too.

propertypro, Nov 25, 8:56am
Yip Google "Resene cool colour"
We have used Resene Woodsman cool colour on a huge 130 meter deck does get toasty but dosen't get hot enough to burn bear feet. Colour was Tiri