Stone fruit trees

sand_storm, Nov 2, 10:34pm
We have two very young fruit trees (1 is a Nectarine and the other a Peacharine). we bought them from a Nursery July last year.

They are doing really well. especially after having transplanted them in April! There is quite a lot of fruit growing but. we are moving and DO NOT WANT to leave our trees behind!

We are only moving 1 kilometre away.

I'm sure some readers here will probably think we are nuts but even so, if we dig REALLY "BIG" so there is zero (or at least very minimal) disturbance with the root ball. and be as gentle with them as we were In April when we moved them, do you think the "operation " of transplanting them could be successful?

Or given that they are now bearing fruit, would it be most unwise to do this?

We woud greatly appreciate any advice you can give.

Many thanks!

snoopy221, Nov 2, 11:02pm
Been there done that before no biggie juss land em in a wet hole with good compost and use slow release fert when filling hole and leave a hose section in the bottom of the hole hole with a connector above ground level and water em daily for a month.
Does help if ya have access to a tractor with a front end loader and can access em and pick em up entire with no root damage lol

sand_storm, Nov 3, 12:28pm
No tractor but I do have a front end loader; my husband! He can dig and dig a and dig and dig some more until they come ou of the ground with such ease they won't even know they have been transplanted! Thanks heaps for your vote of confidence! I feel much more confident about doing it now thanks to you! Cheers! Just hope the baby fruit will continue to grow when replanted!

sand_storm, Nov 3, 12:32pm
I'm also watering them like crazy at the moment. the big dig will happen somewhere between the 9th and 16th November

snoopy221, Nov 3, 9:32pm
relative to weather let things dry out a bit a few days BEFORE you dig out and move K and as stated prior just pop a hose section in the hole at the bottom K reasoning is SIMPLE as in one can ground and drip line water BUT a hose in the bottom of the hole left on for an hour or 2 daily WILL promote root growth as the actual roots will head to water. K

And the hose can be pulled out later-after a coupla months
Note this advice is specifically given for shifting trees in fruit-K

sand_storm, Nov 4, 4:46pm
Thanks snoopy. so do you mean to cut a piece of hose pipe and place it in bottom of hole? Is that what you mean? Cheers!

sand_storm, Feb 20, 9:06am
Okay I might just stop watering for now. moving the trees on the 7th/8th at this stage ;-)