Batts, my house doesn't have any and there is a

dishwash1, Mar 17, 5:23pm
product some kind of foam that can be put between the walls instead of taking the walls down. Has anyone heard of this and what is it called please. Is it effective? Thanks.

lythande1, Mar 17, 7:04pm
Google: insulation foam nz

Many sites.

We had this kind of stuff in first house, we won it. It worked well, never had an issue with it and it worked.

golfdiver, Mar 17, 7:24pm
If you are talking about injected air foam. Don’t bother, it’s rubbish

tweake, Mar 17, 7:27pm
between walls ?
do you have a brick house?

eddienz, Mar 17, 11:47pm
keep well clear from that crap

mm12345, Mar 18, 5:24pm
Google Insulmax
Not a foam, but a water repellent fibre that's supposed to not wick water - from any cladding leaks etc -through to the framing timber if the cavity is filled.
I understand that this product/process was originally rejected for building consent, the supplier appealed against the decision and won. Each job still needs building consent, but IIRC the supplier lodges that along with a individual technical report following inspection.
It surprised me that a system like that could get approval, but the reports etc of the appeal are available:
https://www.building.govt.nz/assets/Uploads/resolving-problems/determinations/2017/2017-028.pdf
I'm still a bit skeptical - but it seems much better than the foam systems.

cagivachick1, Mar 21, 8:33pm
looked at that at the Home Show a couple of weeks ago, dont like the idea of filling up the cavity especially on a old house with no building paper on the studs, the guy showed us some of their product floating in water, says it doesnt absorb water

jangal1, Mar 22, 12:24pm
That will be why some councils won't wear it - it's not an approved solution as it hasn't been tested for water absorption over the long term. Wood floats but if left in water will soak it up.

Only proper solution is to de-gib, woolblock and re-gib.

trade4us2, Mar 22, 2:59pm
We still haven't been told what type of cladding there is.
Mine is weatherboards, and I can unscrew my weatherboards to put in insulation and fix wiring and plumbing. Why doesn't everyone do do that?

jangal1, Mar 22, 3:38pm
Coz the councils make it impossible with various consents, the need to fit new flashings where none previously existed, the need to prove weather-tightness etc. Easier to just quietly do it from the inside and leave the external cladding alone.

In any event, very few houses have a removable external cladding - 1% might?

cagivachick1, Mar 22, 7:23pm
good luck unscrewing your bricks

tweake, Mar 22, 7:32pm
i've never seen a house with screwed on weather boards.
it would be a very rare house that you could take off the outside cladding without doing damage to it or causing issues with windows and doors.

nzjay, Mar 22, 8:48pm
. let alone the integrity of the building paper vapour barrier.

mm12345, Mar 22, 9:20pm
Not necessarily so:
The position of Insulmax® as the innovative market leader in the Retrofit Wall Insulation industry was confirmed on 27th May 2016 when it became the first N.Z insulation company to be awarded CodeMark certification for its Retrofit Wall Insulation Method. The CodeMark certification includes all types of common existing buildings in New Zealand. Compliance of the system with the requirements of clauses B1, B2, F2, E2, C3 and H1 of the N.Z Building Code is monitored by the CodeMark certification body AssureQuality.
If a council "won't wear it" - then they're at risk. (see my link above where a council rejected it for building consent - then were overruled on review).

That said, personally in my opinion only, I don't like the concept much - but OTOH removing interior lining, fitting "pockets" of building paper to hold insulation back from the cavity also has some potentially serious issues.

gazzat22, Mar 22, 10:10pm
Look up Insulfluff.our house in Napier had sloping ceilings so installer took off some iron and Blew this loose fill insulation in worked very well.

trade4us2, Dec 6, 1:03am
Since I had to take the weatherboards off to replace rotten boards and also to put conduit over the wiring to keep it away from the polystyrene insulation, and the nails were not holding very well. I decided that stainless steel screws were a good idea.