Black mould in room behind shower

Page 1 / 2
daz59, Jul 31, 10:46am
An update, tiles around where it was leaking from were removed and everything left to dry for a couple of months, waterproofing put back down where the tiles were an new tiles put back in, all was fine for a couple of months but water started to show up in wardrobe again.

zak410, Jul 31, 1:03pm
I would demand the whole shower to be stripped and redone. in the meantime, being in a wardrobe it would be easy to cut a square of the Gib board to investigate.

Cut a neat rectangle between the studs, it then will be easy to fix back.

daz59, Jul 31, 1:49pm
That was done last time, couldn't see much, also stuck a camera in the shower wall, couldn't see the problem, Think I know where its coming from, at times after a shower you get a puddle of water sitting on the tiles outside the entrance, that water sometimes runs under the vanity and puddle against the side wall of the shower (and the opposite to the wardrobe wall thats getting wet) there is no water proofing anywhere there so its no surprise the water is getting in. If they redo the shower they will have to redo the whole bathroom as they can not get floor tiles that match the existing ones.

daz59, Jul 31, 1:56pm
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/843150208.jpg

See photo, in red is where the water runs and there is no water proofing along there.

martin11, Jul 31, 4:22pm
Is one of your shower pipes or the mixer leaking ?

Where is the rose in relation to the pix you just posted up .

cagivachick1, Jul 31, 4:36pm
the whole bathroom floor should be waterproofed and up the walls 80mm outside the shower area

martin11, Jul 31, 4:48pm
Only if its a wet floor area like in the shower , the shower wall should be waterproofed much higher than 80 mm

daz59, Jul 31, 6:50pm
No that was checked last time, its dry behind the rose and mixer.
Rose is on the wall opposite red line, so water hits the opposite wall to that and splashes out of the shower then runs under vanity.

gabbysnana, Jul 31, 7:41pm
Poor design reminiscence of mid 2000 builds, have seen alot of this, no water proofing membrane anywhere, during the cowboy days the container builders tiled walls floors etc without any form of waterproofing or thought, alot was exposed in the weatheright hearings. Water will be wicking everywhere.

pauldw, Jul 31, 10:45pm
Just visited friends who had both showers leaking. Water was entering wall cavity whenever the shower rose was directed at the junction of wall and shower glass. Turned out that when glass channel screwed to wall the screws weren't sealed. Screw holes penetrated the waterproofing.

cagivachick1, Aug 1, 6:13am
the wall channels shouldnt be screwed to the walls, i think you will find anybody drilling holes in the membrane voids the warranty

pauldw, Aug 1, 6:58am
The instructions for Athena doors for a tiled shower refer to using 2 #8x50mm pan head screws plus a continuous bead of silicone sealer on the back of the wall receiver and around the screw holes.

happychappy50, Aug 1, 7:16am
For what it is worth OP,get back to the builder,let them know & go from there.Have seen this so many times,only way to fix correctly is to start again.Being a wet floor the COMPLETE room should have been waterproofed.The tiler hasn’t got the fall right subsequently the water runs to the lowest point,if the complete floor had been waterproofed water would have been contained within that area.As I had shared earlier,repaired heaps of these,nothing much has changed.If the builder tries fobbing you off,elevate it to the tribunal.Patching wet areas is NOT the way to go,often some membranes are not compatible.Like in Australia,whenever an issue was elevated to the office of fair trading,everyone jumped.

cagivachick1, Aug 1, 7:48am
doesnt matter what athena say drilling holes in undertile waterproofing voids the warranty, whats the point of going to all the trouble of making something waterproof if some goon is going to drill holes in it, i recently fixed a leaking shower where the glaziers had drilled 9 holes in the floor tiles

pauldw, Aug 1, 9:38am
The suppliers of the glazing bars probably say the bars should be installed and sealed before the tiles are fixed. If the tile is drilled there'd be no chance of sealing any penetration.

cagivachick1, Aug 1, 12:16pm
all glaziers silicone the glass tracks on to the tiles when they measure up for the glass now, the only time the tracks go on before the tiles are if its a atlantis or similar style where the class comes with the shower tray as a package

stevo2, Aug 1, 6:53pm
^^This^^. You DONT drill through a membrane. I believe poorly constructed tiled showers will become the next "Big Thing" followed by retro fitted double glazing.
Watch this space.

daz59, Aug 3, 3:37pm
The tiler was around today, blocked the drain off and filled the shower recess up with water to see if any water was leaking from inside the shower, it didnt appear to be and looks like the water is seeping through the wall under the vanity. He wants me to keep a towel down there to stop water running under the vanity and keep showering to confirm the leak is coming from there, as it should stay dry with the towel soaking up the water. He did say one option would be to remove all of the tiles from the bathroom floor except the shower (because its water tight) and re tile the bathroom correcting the slope and I assume add more waterproofing outside of the shower to correct the issue. But he cant get any tiles to exactly match whats in the shower, im not sure I like the idea of the floor being slightly different colour to the walk in shower.

Also where do I stand with this as im not sure what the standards are now but when the shower was done there was no requirements to waterproof outside of the shower, so if he has done that up to standard, who is liable for the water that splashes out of the shower and runs under the vanity through the wall.

martin11, Aug 3, 4:20pm
Builders guarantee ? Master Builders if it was built by them ?

happychappy50, Aug 3, 5:48pm
This is standard practice to isolate the issues OP,not sure on code in NZ,Australia is the complete floor to be watertight.Even if it is not, you shouldn’t have to have a leaking bathroom.Bathroom floors had a gulley trap to catch water outside the shower enclosure,most of the time water never ran there asthe tiler never laid them that way,became an issue,so I ended up doing it & backcharged them,they soon got the message.Sounds as tho the tiler is doing the right thing,unfortunately if those tiles have shade variations you could be in trouble,code in Australia was “a close match” sucks but I would suggest liaise with the tiler.

ksam, Aug 5, 2:32pm
I'm with you on the retro double glazing!

stevo2, Aug 5, 3:12pm
I have seen a couple of access type of tiled showers built by the home owner that didnt know that you had to waterproof the shower box first.

cagivachick1, Aug 5, 8:28pm
some people dont realise that tiles are just for looking at they arnt doing anything to keep the water out

blueviking, Aug 6, 7:52am
Code in NZ is now all wet areas(kitchen, laundry, toilet, bathroom) to be waterproofed.Even if you're putting in a plastic shower tray & liner. Ensuites & bathrooms to be tanked.

daz59, Oct 23, 11:51am
Hi All,

My house that I bought about 6 months ago was built in 2014.
I have just noticed mould in the corner of the wardrobe that is behind the shower, the wall is not wet so I can only asume the mould is growing up inbetween the skirting board and wall. The mould is only on the one corner of the room.

See pictures, half way along the shower wall is the corner of the wardrobe.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/664114649.jpg https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/664114422.jpg

Thoughts on this? and what my next step should be?