Phone line going through trees

christin, Mar 15, 6:18pm
And powerline touching top of trees,

Both these lines are coming over neighbours properties. But they have a massive mess of trees out back. I don't know the landlord, nor the neighbour but if I contact the various service companies will they do something about it?

The phone line was rerun a week or so ago and they must have pretty much threaded through thr leaves.

pauldw, Mar 15, 9:07pm
The phoneline between house and pole probably belongs to Chorus or equivalent. Any problems are their problem. The powerline is different, the home owner is responsible up to the connection on the pole.

oramac, Mar 15, 9:14pm
No only from the boundary to the house.

christin, Mar 15, 9:15pm
Thanks. I've since found something regarding power, I'll contact vector and they can sort it out with the owner.

Not sure how much chorus will care about going through trees as they threaded through thrrr a week or so ago :-(

solarboy, Mar 15, 9:30pm
If the phone wires are insulated it won't matter that they're running through trees unless they're broken by a branch or falling tree .

pauldw, Mar 16, 4:00am
If the "point of supply" is at the pole fuse the overhead wire to the house is the customer's responsibility.

christin, Mar 16, 6:22am
If the wire is my responsibility, I assume the cutting down of someone else's trees isn't?

christin, Mar 16, 8:12am
heres the phone line. as you an see it goes directly into the bush. not just branches around it, but through the middle of a dense bush!

even if insulated, surely those moving against it constantly cant be good? its the line from the left hand edge going into it, not the power over top

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/748438484.jpg and heres the other side, this time its the right hand side one but comes out from a bush! https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/748439478.jpg

johotech, Mar 16, 8:16am
1.5m clearance required for power lines.
It's the property owners responsibility, however your local lines company might give you one free trim.
Obviously, if the power lines are too close to the trees, trimming them yourself might be too dangerous. People have been killed by pole trimmers contacting power lines, so don't take any risks.

christin, Mar 16, 8:25am
im not the property owner, its my neighbours house. lines go over their section. and into their trees! power lines are touching the trees.

personally i hope its a good excuse for him to get rid of the trees as overhanging our driveway too and too much for us to cut down ourselves. dont fancy spending money to get rid of them.

johotech, Mar 16, 10:56am
Contact the local lines company. They will issue a cut/trim notice.

christin, Mar 16, 11:48am
thanks. did that this morning. :-)

funny how chorus specfically ran through the trees as it is now. sure its insulated but doesnt take much to catch it with the trees moving in the wind. Its hard to tell in those photos but surrounded by bush!

hopefully he cuts the damn lot down. you cant see the other side, the bit hanging over our long driveway. too big for me and my other neighbour to do. But dont fancy paying someone. Is getting in the way that anything other than a car hits it. :-(

amasser, Mar 16, 4:45pm
Their trees over your driveway = their responsibility.You could start by being nice but .

christin, Mar 16, 5:07pm
I would if Id actually met the landlord,

Spoke to thr Tennant once and apparently he's not keen to do stuff, and don't think she's keen on asking for us (fair enough) going by her comments on what she asked bedore

christin, Mar 16, 5:16pm
Here's a closer of the phone lines through tree
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/748780360.jpg And power. https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/748781230.jpg
This is the whole corner, goes back a few meters. Thr grapevine comes over from their side too but can cut thst back tidy myself. Ignore the wood just renovated my spare room . Big tidy up this weekend but we have no chainsaw to get the big branches over the driveway, have cut back some branches but so much to do by hand.

https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/748782050.jpg

ianab, Mar 16, 10:17pm
Generally the lines company will do one free trim, or a free removal. If the owner opts for a trim, and the tree grows back, they pay next time.

This is NOT DIY stuff. You don't go cutting trees that are into the power lines unless you are a pro with the right gear and paperwork.

The lines company can find the landlord and work out those details with them.

Phone line is less critical as no one gets killed if it gets knocked out.

pauldw, Mar 16, 11:28pm
If it is the service lead to a house rather than the lines co distribution wouldn't the lines co just refer it to the owner?

johotech, Mar 16, 11:49pm
They aren't always that keen on having property owners trimming trees near lines.
It doesn't always look good on their statistics losing customers to electrocution.

elect70, Dec 8, 11:13am
I was told to cut mine back as the cable had "stretched " by the movement of the branches ( ph line ). Get a bill next time if it happened again .