Powder dispenser in dishwasher not opening .

meoldchina, Nov 21, 11:22pm
early enough (or, sometimes at all) in the washing cycle and consequently my dishes are not getting properly cleaned. There's often a clump of powder left in the dispenser. Is there a way to fix this? It's a Bosch machine. It is regularly cleaned and I can slide the dispenser door open and closed quite easily. I don't over-fill the container, so I can't understand why it doesn't open when washing. Any ideas?

docsportello, Nov 22, 8:52am
You can put the powder directly into the machine, or a tablet in the cutlery holder if you have one, it works just the same. But to answer the questionè, it's probably a circuit board/mechanical malfunction - get a service agent to test.

wine-o-clock, Nov 22, 8:57am
are the arms clogged up?

maddie44, Nov 22, 8:59am
One thing to check = is it near your cutlery holder and has something in there blocked it from opening?

nzjay, Nov 22, 9:10am
This. Make sure there is nothing tall in front of the dispenser flap that might stop it from releasing.
If not, there is a problem with the solenoid that releases the flap. a job for a serviceman.

meoldchina, Nov 22, 11:51am
Your responses are very interesting. Thank you. I can't see anything catching the flap from the cutlery holder and the arms or hinge appear clean, so I have to assume it's something to do with the circuit board/solenoid/mechanics.

pauldw, Nov 22, 12:41pm
Is it one where the door slides sideways or up? We have one of each and find that the slide up type can stick shut when you use powder. Some water may get in during the initial rinse cycle and the wet powder sticks to the door. If the door doesn't move fast enough the latch resets. It opens every time with tablets.

mcarky, Nov 22, 4:30pm
I have had to replace a solenoid to trigger the door opening. Got a second hand one from a white ware recycler. Or if it is a flip open type, may be you've over stacked the bottom tray, when the dish washer door closes the flip up lid comes up against part of the load. The solenoid activates but the lid is up against the load so either it locks again or only partially opens. Then you get the blame from the rest of the family for smeary dishes.

popped_out, Nov 27, 7:46pm
I had that problem, and worked it out that the pot which was put in that part of the dishwasher tray was too close so it opened but not enough. Its likely that something is in front of the flap stopping it from opening.

wendalls, Nov 27, 8:20pm
I rarely use mine now and throw a tablet in the bottom instead. Too many problems such as you are getting. The dispenser doesn't fit lots of the tablets anyway and the instructions say to do this if its a problem

mrfxit, Nov 28, 1:31pm
We have had this with several different brands/models
I just drop a tablet in the knife tray now.
Can't be bothered with the dispenser

mrfxit, Nov 28, 1:33pm
The only issue with dropping the tablet in the tray is part of the tablet gets used in the 1st pre-rinse

cantabman1, Nov 29, 8:20am
Just make sure the dispenser is dry before adding any powder, as a little moisture can make the powder swell and stop the flap from opening.

mrfxit, Nov 29, 8:22am
Yep did all that, always made sure it was very dry.
Half the time the tablet still got stuck.

Same result when using powder.

trade4us2, Nov 29, 9:47am
My Simpson dishwasher is very old but reliable.
The powder dispenser didn't open sometimes, maybe a dish was touching it.
The dispenser door has come off and is now lost, so I just put the powder in the dispenser and have no more problems.

pauldw, Feb 5, 6:03pm
On the Bosch that gave us trouble the dispenser door gets tripped to open about 15 mins from start of cycle. If the door does open the next thing could be the rotating arm is stuck on something so doesn't squirt the soap holder. Your stacker may need training :-)