Gas hot water system question

moby, Mar 26, 10:25pm
Almost exactly 5 years ago I had my gas HWC replaced. The bill (Rheem cylinder, lots of fittings and labour came to $3k). One of the replaced items, an expansion valve, has started leaking out the drain pipe - a steady dribble. Is 5 years a reasonable lifetime for this item (its predecessor lasted at least 17 years) or do I have legitimate reason to contact Topline, who did the job.

supernova2, Mar 27, 8:18pm
An expansion valve is designed to leak off excess pressure so it might actually be working properly. Get the Plunber back to check the complete system

trade4us2, Mar 27, 9:28pm
Yes I have had four faulty expansion valves in 25 years. Inside it is a spring that goes rusty after a few years, since there is hot water dribbling over it whenever you use any hot water. The cold water expands when it is heated of course, and it has to go somewhere.
You could buy another spring for about $7. They don't seem to have non-rusting springs.
I threw out the expansion valve and put back the plain overflow pipe up on the roof, and had no problems since. I have a 2 litre tank on top of my overflow pipe, so no water is wasted at all.

trade4us2, Mar 27, 9:37pm
This is probably incorrect. You can work out what the problem is.
With proper operation, the valve is designed to leak for a short time after you use any hot water. If it keeps leaking for hours, the spring is probably rusty. If you turn off the power to the cylinder the water should stop coming out, because the cold water is not expanding any more.
If the valve is faulty you will probably need someone with plumbing experience to fix the valve.
The whole system is rather stupid, but plumbers like being called around every few years.

moby, Dec 3, 6:54am
Figured it out - It was not the expansion valve, it was the limiting valve. Replaced cartridge and no more drippage. Yay.