Changing HRV system filter

henpen, Aug 31, 5:28am
The red light to indicate the filter on our HRV system needs replacing is flashing. Does anyone know how easy it is to DIY or is it better to get the professionals in? Cheers

stickman4u, Aug 31, 6:00am

daryl14, Aug 31, 7:10am
If you change it yourself then you will instantly void the HRV warranty. Which will be great for you as they will probably also take you off their calling list. There is a trader on here who sells aftermarket filters. Go for it!

henpen, Aug 31, 7:57am
Thanks - will have a ponder on it.

daryl14, Aug 31, 11:07am
x1
You didn't actually watch that clip, did you? Doesn't look like no HRV system I ever saw.

nzmaximus, Sep 2, 8:48pm
The aftermarket filters are much coarser than the HRV ones and they don't form an airtight seal in the box.

nzmaximus, Sep 2, 8:49pm
It's a Heat Recovery Ventilation system, but not an HRV brand one.

glover6655, Sep 4, 1:50am
I worked for HRV as an installer for many years. Changing the filter yourself is a bit easier said that done. Not only is the filter completely unique to HRV (nanofibre technology), they put a special seal around the filter to make sure it's an airtight fit. HRV regularly change the dimensions of the box itself to prevent imitation suppliers installing their own filters. There are lots of companies on the market that say they can do it, but chances are it won't fit properly and will completely compromise the integrity of the system - You did buy it for clean air after-all. Changing yourself breaches the warranty which is a waste considering they costs thousands. Hope that helps

family007, Sep 5, 12:49am
How much is it to replace filter? I have a Janus 4. It's actually overdue for service as we've been financially strapped.

nzmaximus, Sep 5, 3:21am
You should call HRV for pricing as it may depend on your location, but an indicative price would be around $220.00.

kiwitrader43, Oct 9, 4:42pm
Go genuine HRV as they will check out the entire installation at the same time.
Aftermarket can be cheaper short term by compromising quality and materials. However, if the filter fails to stop the dust getting into the ducting you may have then compromised your entire system and house.
Just do it properly.
Same for any of the other brands, Always use the genuine filters and parts as you do in your family car.
Remember your house and family's health is worth more than that cheap filter.
I'm not a rep, just a homeowner that has one.