2nd hand HRV, DVS etc ventilation systems

ryanm2, Feb 5, 8:07am
The actual installs are pretty straight forward if you know what you are doing. It can be quite a dirty and frustrating job running the ducting, cutting the cut outs in the correct spots etc but anyone can essentially do it. Sure, get a sparky to wire up the fan motor and thermostat etc.

ryanm2, Feb 5, 8:09am
Have you contacted a a firm like airflo, they are located down Wairakei Road, you could make yourself up a kit for for a very good price compared to some of the deals you see.

differentthings, Feb 5, 8:23am
c00l. I will give air flow a ring on Monday. From what I've seen they seem to be over priced for what you get. When I told the sales guy I wanted to install it myself he said he wouldn't sell it to me.
Where should the air vents be in the room. In the middle or closer to the windows. There's a few houses for sale here in TGA with these systems fitted so I could just go to a couple of open homes and check them out. thx.

jb2815, Feb 5, 10:28am
Of course he wouldn't sell it to you, because that's where he creams it in profit. Install the vents to wherever they reach from the blower. Mine are closest to the doors, furthest from the windows, it works perfectly. I've got 6 vents from 2 units, 1 in each bedroom and 2 in opposite ends of the lounge/dining.

sr2, Feb 5, 11:14am
Apologies to the OP for being slightly off topic but I'm still confused as to why HRV call their system HRV?

HRV stands for "heat recovery ventilation".

It's a very clever system developed in colder areas of Canada that utilises a heat exchanger to warm incoming air from the outside using the heat from warm inside air being exhausted to the outside. In a very cold climate it allows you to ventilate your house with minimum loss of internal warmth.

AS far as I can see the Kiwi version of HRV just blows filtered air from the ceiling cavity into your house?

(Edited to say even Wiki' agrees with me, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_recovery_ventilation )

jb2815, Feb 5, 12:05pm
Are you OK sr2?,

Yes, the Kiwi version of HRV just blows filtered (warmer(or colder at your request)) air from the ceiling cavity into your house.

Our kids had respitory problems with our old house, no HRV, alumn windows.

New house, reduced asthma problems with older kids, once filter swapped on HRV, very little problem with youngest child.

No condensation ever. No problem requiring a squeegy.

I can tell you it made a noticeable difference on the health of our young boy.

Might I add: House built in 40's extension in last 20 yrs.

t_naki, Feb 5, 7:01pm
An idea which I have done for a few people and recommend to a lot is to get a heat transfer kit from Mitre10 or Bunnings and install that as a ventilation kit. They are very cheap, you can install them yourself and the only extra thing you need is a sock filter which you can get here on TradeMe. The only difference between the two systems is that with a heat transfer the air is taken from the heat source in the lounge and with a ventilation the air is taken from the roof space or outside.

t_naki, Feb 5, 7:03pm
HRV is not a description of the system it is the name of the company. That said they do offer a heat recovery system but you must ask and it is even more over priced than their standard systems.

sr2, Feb 6, 1:32am
You're sounding like you work for them?

t_naki, Feb 6, 3:14am
lol

It wouldn't be the first time

franken1, Feb 7, 1:32am
A heat transfer system is entirely different from a ventilation system. They perform different functions and one shouldn't be confused with the other.

t_naki, Feb 7, 7:56am
No but the kit you get for a heat transfer has everything in it you need for a ventilation system except a filter. If you want to be flashy you can have a sparky put a couple of thermostats in to save you having to turn it on and off yourself but other than than that they are the same machine.

macnz3, Feb 9, 2:01am
lol I wouldn't put it past them. but in saying that we had the a similar situation with our kids. made a big difference over winter. the only difference was we went with sayr as I didn't like what I read about hrv.

I do have one question thou. does anyone know about the rings around the vents?

gr8scottt, Jul 13, 9:36pm
They are dust rings caused from static electricity, they all have them, easily removed by a clean dry soft brush. Do not use any liquid cleaners or water or it smears the dust and really hard to get off.