HRV vs DVS

Page 1 / 2
mel2112, Jul 11, 7:17am
We're have recently brought a new home and it desperately needs ventilation. Are there any builders out there or fellow home owners who can provide feedback on HRV and DVS? How well do the really work?

bugalugs, Jul 11, 7:26am
If you do a search of the message boards, you'll get heaps of previous threads on this. You'll get a wide range of opinions.

mel2112, Jul 11, 7:29am
Oo thank you. I did this but did not change the 'date posted' section. Have a nice night :)

bugalugs, Jul 11, 7:34am
x1
Congratulations on your new home! I totally understand the need for proper ventilation. I've been there before and let me tell you, it can be a real nightmare. But don't worry, I've got you covered. Let's talk about HRV and DVS, and see which one is the best fit for your home.

First of all, let's talk about what these two ventilation systems are. HRV stands for Heat Recovery Ventilation, and DVS stands for Dry Ventilation System. They both work by extracting stale air from your home and replacing it with fresh, filtered air. The difference lies in how they do it.

HRV works by using a heat exchanger to transfer the heat from the outgoing air to the incoming air. This means that the fresh air that comes into your home is preheated, which is great in the winter when you want to keep your home warm. DVS, on the other hand, works by drawing in air from the roof cavity and filtering it before it enters your home. This means that the air is already at room temperature, but it doesn't have the added benefit of being preheated in the winter.

Now, let's talk about which one works better. Honestly, it depends on your specific needs. If you live in a cold climate and want to keep your home warm in the winter, then HRV is probably the better choice for you. However, if you live in a milder climate and just want to improve the air quality in your home, then DVS might be the way to go.

Another thing to consider is the cost. HRV systems tend to be more expensive than DVS systems, but they also tend to have a longer lifespan. DVS systems are cheaper, but you may need to replace them more frequently.

Finally, it's important to make sure that you get your ventilation system installed by a professional. Both HRV and DVS systems require proper installation and maintenance in order to work effectively. So, make sure you do your research and find a reputable installer in your area.

I would say that both HRV and DVS are good options for improving the ventilation in your home. It just depends on your specific needs and budget. I hope this information was helpful to you, and good luck with your home renovation project!

c-l, Jul 11, 7:36am
They all do the same job! We went with this guy and it was half the price and stopped crying windows THE VERY NEXT DAY! http://www.ecoairventilation.co.nz/

customise84, Jul 11, 8:11am
I've lived in houses with both. HRV by far is the better of the two

smallwoods, Jul 11, 8:55am
Depends on the house's suitability as well, not all homes are suitable, especially newer homes.

csador, Jul 14, 4:01am
Check out smartvent too, its the same thing but tends to be a bit cheaper. I got one installed and condensation issues dissapeared straight away

vitaminh, Jul 14, 4:03am
We have a new home and got a DVS installed and its like magic. Amazing and not as pushy to deal with a HRV :)

thedigger, Jul 14, 11:41pm
I'm looking into this myself at the moment . its come down to between HRV or Sayr.

maccachic1, Jul 15, 1:41am
The cheap option is to regularly open your windows, that's all those systems are actually providing. Also reduce moisture at the source via extractor fans, not drying washing inside and shower domes and or extractors.

tweake, Jul 15, 1:59am
not everyone can leave windows open all day long and also be home to shut them when the temp drops.
ventilations systems have there uses.

lynken37, Jul 15, 2:59am
Sorry but I beg to differ, I have had DVS in 1 new home and now have HRV in a 3 year old home. both work really well.

thedigger, Jul 15, 3:25am
Opening your windows will bring in whatever air is outside (typically damp and cold in winter) . I'm after the ventilation to use dry, warm(er) (when available) air.

maccachic1, Jul 15, 3:44am
Where do you think its obtaining this air from?

tweake, Jul 15, 3:50am
depends on the system.
the basic positive pressure system won't work well on a modern air tight home as air can't get out. however you can use balanced pressure system.

there are a few homes you have to be careful of such as brick with wooden floor. the intake in the roof space can suck damp air up from under the house via the brick cavity.

macandrosie, Jul 15, 3:54am
We have an HRV system in. We have a large older home, so there are 3 fans up in the ceiling. It has definitely dried our home out over the past 3 years, but I am wondering if the fans draw alot of power as our power bills just keep climbing! Only 2 at home now & our main source of heating is a Yunca multi fuel burner. Living in Southland - it has been a real struggle to keep the place warm this winter.

tweake, Jul 15, 5:01am
they don't draw a lot but they run all the time, tho at slow speed.
you can change the temp settings which will change when they speed up. that will keep power usage to a minimum.

smallwoods, Jul 15, 8:17am
I didn't say they wouldn't work in newer homes, but not all styles will benefit from theses systems.

t_naki, Jul 15, 6:26pm
It is not so much to do with age but some homes are not suitable. Some brick facade homes don't work and ones with no building paper, also if the roof space is sealed to tightly there is no where for air to enter to replace that being blown into the house. Also some don't need one and can be fixed by dealing with the cause instead of treating the problem, but a salesman won't tell you that, its best to look around at your sources of moisture before getting them in. I have made my own system for under $100 with bits and pieces I had laying around the workshop but anyone could make up a basic ventilation system using a heat transfer kit from a home handy man store and fit it for under $1k.

galex, Jul 19, 11:06pm
Agree with you re HRV sales staff. Pushiest and rudest i've ever met. I will NEVER use HRV because of their contemptuous attitude to potential customers who dare to ask them for proof of their claims.

jonners2013, Jul 19, 11:18pm
I must admit i agree 100%. Not only was the salesman necessarily pushy on site, they kept ringing and pestering me. On the third call, I told them their pushy tactics had just convinced me not to use them. Now if i end up going with any system, it will not be theirs.

lissie, Jul 20, 12:46am
If it's a new home there is something wrong if you have condensation - do you not use the ventilation in the bathroom and the range hood when cooking? Are you drying clothes inside without an externally vented dryer? Do you not have double glazing?

Open the windows for 30 minutes or so at the start of the day - or leave them slightly ajar - most modern window catches allow this securely.

Not quite sure why you'd want the air from your dusty attic forced through your home.

t_naki, Jul 20, 5:48am
x1
Those catches most certainly do not offer any form of security and a simple claw hammer will have any window catch off in a second if they are not completely closed. And the air from the roof is filtered and after the system has been running a few hours is completely fresh air than was there before the system started up.

customise84, Jul 20, 7:01pm
I have been very surprised, we got someone from HRV at the local home show to come and give us a quote on 2 vortexs (already have ventilation system from them) and he came 1.5 weeks, gave us the quotes, and haven't heard back from him since. We are still debating whether to go ahead and get the vortexs anyway but I am just surprised he hasn't followed up.