Aphids on my swan plant

purplenut, Feb 17, 10:09pm
Just after some advice about aphids. I have a swan plant in a pot. It was growing beautifully, until i discovered yellow things all over it. Its looking a bit under the weather now. What should I do?

ricp, Feb 18, 3:56am
If there's no caterpillars on it you can spray it in the evening with pyrethrum which kills the aphids and is neutralised by sunlight so will be safe for caterpillars soon. If it's got caterpillars on it then chop off the tips where most the aphids will be and squash the rest. and then keep doing it as they will come back fast.

kaylin, Feb 18, 8:01am
x1

Hey there! Sorry to hear about the aphids on your swan plant. These pesky little insects can cause a lot of damage if left untreated. But don't worry, there are a few things you can do to get rid of them and save your plant.

Identifying Aphids on Swan Plants

First things first, let's talk about how to identify aphids on swan plants. They're usually small, pear-shaped insects that come in a range of colors - green, black, brown, and even pink. They tend to congregate on the undersides of leaves and at the tips of new growth. If you look closely, you might also see sticky honeydew or sooty mold on the leaves, which are tell-tale signs of an aphid infestation.

Getting Rid of Aphids on Swan Plants

So, how to kill aphids on swan plants? There are a few different methods you can try, depending on how severe the infestation is.

One of the easiest ways to get rid of swan plant aphids is to simply blast them off with a strong stream of water. This can be done with a hose or even a spray bottle. Just be sure to get both the tops and undersides of the leaves, as well as the stems and buds. This method is best done early in the morning or late in the evening when the plant is cooler and the aphids are less active.

Another option is to use an insecticidal soap or oil. These products work by suffocating the aphids and can be found at most garden centers. Simply spray the soap or oil onto the affected areas of the plant, being sure to cover both the tops and undersides of the leaves. Repeat every few days until the aphids are gone.

If you prefer a more natural approach, you can try making your own insecticidal spray. Mix equal parts water and dish soap in a spray bottle and add a few drops of peppermint or neem oil. Shake well and spray onto the affected areas of the plant. This method can be just as effective as commercial insecticides, but without the harmful chemicals.

In addition to these methods, you can also try attracting natural predators to your garden. Ladybugs, lacewings, and hoverflies are all known to feed on aphids and can be encouraged by planting flowers such as daisies, fennel, and yarrow nearby.

So, there you have it - some tips on how to get rid of aphids on swan plants. Remember, the key is to act quickly and stay vigilant. With a little patience and persistence, you can save your plant and keep those pesky aphids at bay. Good luck!

cantabman1, Feb 18, 7:43pm
I grew and sold over 500 swan plants this year, with a very few having the yellow aphid on them. The easiest way to rid them is simply squashing them with your fingers., and after a couple of times, they are all gone.

goldywing, Feb 24, 8:19pm
I had the same deal. so i just blasted them with fly spray. seems to have done the trick

stefanie, Feb 24, 8:54pm
I do the same, but add a bit of cooking oil, it makes the detergent stick on the plant longer.

howgoodisit, Feb 25, 8:46pm
Ha, try doing that with my swan plant. its 8foot tall and got to be at least 100,000 aphids on it!

bingoz, May 15, 7:26am
I have new plants just popping through the ground an low an behold has those damn aphids on them. It's as though they smell the plant an wow they are all covered. On my bigger plants I notice they start where the flowers are, an when the flowers turn into pods there the little blighters are