Aphids in Green house !

gorsegully, Dec 1, 2:44pm
Initially I found aphids on one capsicum plant in Greenhouse. I bought a contact malathion spray, but they kept reappearing and started showing up on other plants. Next I tried a systemic spray, said to use at weekly intervals but they were back within this time and spreading. I'm seriously contemplating a borer bomb ! Any readers here had success I probably have about 30 plants, tomatoes, capsicum and chillies.

harm_less, Dec 1, 3:16pm
Maybe lay off the amount of nitrogen you're applying. Too much nitrogen will promote lush growth and the resulting scent generated by the plant is literally broadcasting an 'all you can eat' message to sap sucking insects.

nukhelenc, Dec 1, 6:31pm
I would use Yates Target
Ive got the one in the Brown bottle
1 Teaspoon in a liter of water
Ive had a bottle of it for years and it works well, i hardly use it but not interested in trying all the pussy fixes that don't really work
Its great shit really

Not sure if you can buy it now after a quick search
Garage sales ?

harm_less, Dec 1, 7:05pm
There's a reason Yates Target (an organophosphate) is no longer on the market. Organophosphates are one of the most toxic insecticides and are banned in food production in most countries. If you're happy putting that into your food crops you have little respect for your and your family's health. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organophosphate#Health_effects

nukhelenc, Dec 1, 7:14pm
Get me a Truck Load of it
Now hurry up

342, Dec 3, 6:33am
Last year I had blasted whitefly and aphids in my glasshouse so purchase a dozen or so marigold flower plants and " companion " planted them in there. Took a few days but bugs cleared off so have done the same this year and currently I have pest free plants with some lovely flowering marigolds too!

gorsegully, Dec 3, 8:17am
Thanks for all your comments and suggestions.
I do have both Target and marigolds. Will give marigolds a try and if that fails will resort to the other.
If OP's are so bad why do they use it in animal treatments for fleas and say to use every month ?

samanya, Dec 3, 11:10am

harm_less, Dec 3, 1:35pm
People generally don't consume their pets so they present limited risk to human health, unless you get very up close and personal with your pet such as allowing them into your bed. 'Preloading' your pet with OPs by way of flea collars will also make them more susceptible to environmental poisoning from the likes of horticultural use of OPs.

https://www.pethealthnetwork.com/dog-health/dog-toxins-poisons/insecticides-flea-collars-and-your-dog

lakeview3, Dec 3, 2:15pm

holly-rocks, Dec 3, 4:30pm
Garlic spray and soap work, you just need to do it daily. Took 7 days to rid my garden of aphids. This year they were out in full force 🤨

nukhelenc, Dec 3, 7:16pm
Must only be the Dunedin folk who know that target is the stuff.
Anyway ill come clean
its a 200mil bottle and ive had it, must be 15 years from new and its still over 3 quarter full.
I hardly use it but it works like magic
My bottle is worth $$$$$$$$ :)

Is yours the Brown bottle with Blue and Red on the label ?

If i use it i mix a nats ass of a tea spoon to 500ml water and don't even use the whole spray bottle full. Small Glass House

schnauzer11, Dec 3, 9:41pm
Yes to the soap! We grate Sunlight soap and mix with boiling water. When cooled and sprayed, it's tough on Aphids and Whitefly. I can't specify measurements but you need surprisingly little soap. Give it a try.

gorsegully, Dec 6, 5:24pm
My Target came in a tin with screw cap. Not that old, maybe I purchased it when I heard it was to be banned ? Ha ha

nukhelenc, Dec 6, 6:07pm
Is it liquid ?
Lets see a photo of it then,
Then ill get off my ass and upload mine

holly-rocks, Dec 6, 6:09pm
I cut 4 cloves of garlic, add a cup of boiling water and leave over night. Then add a tablespoon of soap (I use eco store dish washing liquid) then fill a “spray n wipe” type bottle up with water. Works a treat :)

nukhelenc, Dec 6, 6:17pm
I tried the pussy methods
Thats why i got what i got.

sailor13, Sep 2, 11:58am
Fly spray works then wash off worked for me .