Aphids and Ants

poolgirl6, Oct 29, 2:06pm
My Lady Di vine is growing whilst I sleep. The new growth has heaps of aphids. And the ants have found them.
Will they do the job or should I spray?
Presume the ants are killing the aphids, or get rid of both of them?

kateley, Oct 29, 2:18pm
sorry, the ants are farming the aphids! google it

pheonix, Oct 29, 2:55pm
You will have to spray. The aphids produce a sweet secretion which is what the ants are after. Not the aphids themselves.

lythande1, Oct 29, 5:40pm
Ants farm them. Spray away.

majoba, Oct 31, 11:47pm
The ladybirds eventually did such a sterling job of dealing with the aphids last year I am not going to do anything to the aphids this year except squash them if I see them on the roses. I have never seen as many ladybirds as there were last year, i am trusting they will return.

wasgonna, Nov 1, 8:41am
The best and quickest-working spray for aphids is "Kiwicare organic spraying oil."

kandjaja, Nov 1, 12:16pm
Well bugger me. who knew?. consider me educated.

harm_less, Nov 1, 1:52pm
Spray the aphids with the garden hose. It will thin their numbers and wash away the honeydew they are secreting which is what the ants are after. Get the numbers down and the ladybirds should take care of the rest, so long as you don't spray poisons around which will just kill all of the insects good or bad.

sla11, Nov 7, 11:44am
Wouldn't water from washing machine, with soap suds in it, do the trick - spray onto plants? What I usually use. Google for various concoctions easily put together for Ant bait. Usually put out cotton wool balls soaked in Ant bait, inside small jars to preserve when it rains. Ants are a real pest!

redhead96, Nov 7, 6:23pm
If you can put on gloves and squash most of the aphids first.

sanders4, Nov 8, 9:22pm
Detergents, either from sink or washing machine drown aphids as the wetting agent allows fluid to get past their waxy internal lining. Cheapest spray!

harm_less, Sep 11, 11:11pm
If you're attempting to desiccate aphids with detergent be aware that it may well have the same effect on your plants' tender growth.