Swan plant pods-seeds visible

omaria, May 7, 11:54am
I was sent some dried swan plant pods by a very kind TM member. How do I sow those? Pod and all? The fluffly white bits are visible with some seeds visible. Can someone guide me what to do now please? I did not have enough food for my caterpillars this season so hope to do better next one? How long do they take to grow to a decent size?

trade4us2, May 7, 12:56pm
You should just be able to plant the little seeds inside the pod. But I have tried to do that with thousands of seeds for years. The plants keep coming up in places where I don't want them. It's hard to get to my front door, or get the cars out of the garage because of all the swan plants.
A monarch butterfly laid some more eggs last week, and here is a large caterpillar on my trees up the bank
https://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/785493494.jpg

omaria, May 7, 1:13pm
How do I get them out of the pod? Or can I sow them Pod and all?

dbab, May 7, 3:08pm
Pop the pod open and sow them as you would any other seeds.

ruby2shoes, May 7, 3:13pm
I'd wait till spring, and yes, pop the pod and sprinkle over soil. And yep, they certainly do grow in places you may not want them too! Maybe plant them in trays?

clivehell, May 7, 3:58pm
I have already started growing my seeds, I just throw them around the garden in a corner and when they grow to about 10cm I transplant them. Seeing they are so slow with their growth rate I start fairly early. Its still nice and warm up in Kaitaia for them to grow now.

samanya, May 7, 7:34pm
I live in a much colder climate than you guys & I've bought packet after packet of swan plant seeds & have had a huge problem with their germination . got one plant which grew to about 10 cms & bugger me, a caterpillar from my main large plants found it (about 15 m away) & scoffed it!

cantabman1, May 9, 7:30am
Omaria, hi, being up in Auckland your frosts are few and far between.
Seperate out all the brown seeds from the pod and sow them outside in about August, or if you have a glass house you could try sowing the seeds in July into some seedling trays.
I am in Ch Ch and grow approx 1500 to sell each year.I start mine off in a friends glass house in trays, they take about 4-6 weeks before you can prick them out and re sow.

omaria, May 9, 7:52am
Thanks cantab, yes I have a small green house so will do that. Do I just sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil or cover them? The greenhouse still gets pretty cold tho.

freesia, May 9, 7:41pm
I have a swan plant question too. I have them popping up all over the place. Two of them are pretty big now and have lots of caterpillars and a few chrysalis's. When winter really sets in, should I cut them back, leave them or just pull them out?

oh_hunnihunni, May 9, 7:54pm
I think they are frost sensitive, but they are perennial bushes in the milder climates, and get quite big and woody. I'd pot up seedlings to protect some, for spring, and leave the bigger plants to see how they go.

starseeker, May 9, 9:00pm
Be aware that slugs & snails love swan plants & will ring -bark the big ones over winter so that they die, & will totally wipe out seedlings.

cantabman1, May 10, 7:53am
just sprinkle them all over the tray, and then put a fine cover of potting mix over them and lightly press it all down.

cantabman1, Nov 12, 5:03pm
Just leave them all until the spring time. Some will be lost to winter, but some with luck will survive . Cut them back to the green growth just before the sap rises.Don't pamper them too much as they are a weed and will grow in very rough conditions, as long as there is lots of sun, and a little shelter.