Swan Plant question

ace441, Jun 24, 11:09am
I do not have a green finger touch (more like a finger of death ! ) I purchased 8 young but established swan plants about 2 - 3 months ago to get them 'big' for the summer to attract the monarch butterflies. I put them in my greenhouse which I purchased especially for the swan plants. The swan plants are now hitting the roof of the greenhouse (about 5 1/2 - 6 feet). Can I lop the tops off or will this harm them? Also, is there anyway I can get them to go 'bushy' as they are basically a tall skinny stalk with sporadic fronds on - not a lot of food for hungry caterpillars! Thanks

kevymtnz, Jun 24, 11:26am
they better out in the open and away from the south
they are come n go, some years you will have nothing then next id have some 2m high then come the caterpillars and would strip them to nothing and the plants would die
ive had some good seed pod years, and sent them around the country as people wanted them

brightlights60, Jun 24, 11:44am
I grew the ones from "giant swan plant seeds" available here on TM. They are now outside, and doing amazing in -3 frosts. Still full of leaves.
You can "prune" your swan plants but be careful of the sap, its toxic and if you get it anywhere near your eyes will require a visit to A&E (equivalent to superglue). Wash your hands before and after and use gloves. Pruning back will not necessarily form a bushy plant, but will strengthen the main trunk and you may get offshoots. The only way to truely get the big bushy growth is to have them in the ground, outside for a few years so that they harden off and grow bushy.
I used to pick up a wee boy and take him to school and his elderley neighbour had hundreds. People would stop and collect seedlings, seed pods, and caterpillars. They had been there years and years.

cantabman1, Jun 25, 11:26am
I grow and sell about 1500 each year.

If you want a bush type plant ,just nip out the tip to encourage side shoots.

It is no problem growing in the glass house, toping out the plant is fine, but if you want eggs etc in the summer you will need to transfer it in the late spring outside.I remember once seeing a long driveway to a house with swans plants growing as a hedge along one side. About 30 odd plants, trimmed on the sides and top with a gazillion catterpillars eggs, etc.

starseeker, Jun 25, 9:18pm
I have swan plants growing in the garden, also some in a netted area along with my blueberries. The butterflies can't get at the ones in the netted area, as long as the plants don't grow through the netting. This means that I have a source of caterpillar food available all summer long, for when the garden plants are stripped.

oh_hunnihunni, Jun 26, 9:49am
Auckland Council are now removing swan plants on health and safety grounds.

I suppose it's cheaper than education.

Anyway, here's how to prune swan plants:
These beautiful plants, also known as milkweeds, are beloved by gardeners for their attractive flowers and their ability to attract monarch butterflies. But, like any plant, swan plants can sometimes get a little unruly and require some pruning to keep them in check.

Here are some tips for pruning your swan plants:

Timing is everything: The best time to prune swan plants is in the late summer or early fall, after the plant has finished flowering for the season.

Cut back dead or damaged growth: Use sharp pruning shears to remove any dead or damaged growth from the plant. This will help to encourage new growth and keep the plant looking healthy.

Cut back tall stems: If your swan plant has grown tall and leggy, you can cut back some of the stems to encourage a bushier growth habit. Make your cuts just above a leaf node to encourage new growth.

Don't overdo it: While it's important to prune your swan plants to keep them healthy, it's also important not to go overboard. Don't remove more than a third of the plant at any one time, as this can stress the plant and make it more vulnerable to pests and diseases.

Remember, pruning your swan plant is all about keeping it healthy and looking its best. With a little bit of care and attention, your swan plant will continue to thrive and bring beauty to your garden for years to come. And who knows, maybe you'll even attract a few monarch butterflies along the way!

starseeker, Jul 1, 7:20pm
Be a 'guerilla gardener' & sew some seeds where they are removed from.

blueviking, Jul 2, 6:57am
Make sure you kill all the wasps nests in the neighbourhood as well.

brightlights60, Oct 24, 5:05pm
Exactly. Some people just don't get the whole swan plant thing. You need to have some plants covered and control the amount of eggs. I love it when people go to the good old warehouse, buy 5 plants as they have 20 caterpillars on their one swan plant, then wonder why their plants are stripped and the caterpillars bugger off to get more food.

I do the three three three thing. Three large plants (mine are wintering over now, a couple of meters tall). I put three out, cover 6. When the butterflies lay the eggs, take off the majority. Just enough food for the amount of eggs. When they hatch and the caterpillars have eaten, transfer to second lot of plants, cover the first. By the time they are onto the third lot, the first lot has regenerated. Enough food for the whole season, as long as you cull the eggs and cover some of the plants.