Shifted some trees ?

rover79, Dec 6, 9:28pm
Kowhai Sophora microphylla (sp) Shifted an 1800 high tree with a root ball of about 400mm 4 weeks ago, leaves have died off, just wondering if this could come back! Also shifted a cherry tree about 2.4mtr high, couldnt get a root ball with that, just some roots about 300mm wide, could this still grow leaves back! leaves have all died off. TIA.

hutchk, Dec 6, 9:31pm
I'd say you've murdered both of 'em.

kateley, Dec 6, 9:53pm
I agree with hutchk - kowhai are hard enough to move when they're tiny.
Remember that the roots of a tree normally spread as far as the branches - you have probably cut off about 90% of their roots so there's not really any chance they will recover.

stevee6, Dec 6, 11:24pm
Sad to say but you also picked the wrong time of year with the cherry, as well as not moving enough of the rootball.
However, leave them in place, mulch around the planting holes and keep watering - a couple of buckets each per day for the next two weeks, then soak deeply at least once a week for the next year.
You just never know.

redhead96, Dec 6, 11:58pm
you can get some fertilser for them that helps them over the shock of getting moved.

gabbysnana, Dec 7, 12:13am
Its like pulling all the blood vessels out of your heart, would you survive!

kateley, Dec 7, 1:15am
if they've got no roots or leaves there's no way they can absorb any nutrients

rover79, Dec 7, 2:06am
I knew it wasn't a great time of the year to shift them.
Bought due to the owners redoing the whole yard, bought 7 plus a freebee, the sick freebee is looking good, have relegated one as a gonner and would like to give these other 2 a chance if they have one.
I just don't want them sitting in the garden for a year to find out they are no good.