Gib stopping question.

daryl14, Aug 27, 10:32pm
How do you get that godforsaken joint tape to stick on and not bubble? I was told a thin coat of plus4 then the tape then another thin coat straight over. It doesnt even try to stick. The wall seems to suck the moisture out of the plus4 before you get the tape near it. so i add extra water and get bubbles under the tape. Is my plus4 too dry?

zak410, Aug 28, 12:05am
You should really use a bedding compound to bed the tape in.
But I know plus4 'can' be used for it, just take a long time to dry.

Make sure you apply your compound regularly in the recess of the Gib; you should not see the paper of the Gib, even by 'transparency'.
The paper tape must make full contact with the plus4 all along the seam when you go over with your broad-knife;

Yes you can water down your plus4, you can also wet your paper tape if that helps.

You can also get some 'FibaFuse' fibreglass tape, strong and easier to use.

http://www.all-wall.com/Categories/Fiberglass-Mesh-Drywall-Tape/FibaFuse-Paperless-Drywall-Tape.html

johotech, Aug 28, 3:34am
Hope you're putting the paper tape on the right way around?

As Zak said, you should really use Tradeset 90 or similar product for taping. Also agree fibafuse is easier to use than paper.

Check the taping instruction on the Gib website.

rbd, Aug 28, 7:17am
As a self-taught home gib-stopper I used tradeset 90 under the paper tape. Early on I had issues with bubbles under the tape but once I used a little more water in the mix these issues went away. The tape bubbles when the tradeset is too dry or too thin. I used a fairly wet mix under the tape, followed by another layer straight over the top to keep the tape wet while drying. When dry I scrape high points with something flat, then apply another tradeset layer. Another scrape and then Gib +4 as a finishing layer. I'm not highly skilled so there is a lot of sanding involved too! Touch ups are often needed.

Have to say my work was tidier than the professional gibstopper I had in for a job.

daryl14, Aug 28, 7:39am
Thanks guys. This is just to finish off my fire wall in my new garage. I got bubbles the first time, ripped it all off and re did it. Bubbles again. I'm over it. I've done most of the joints. A couple left to do. I'm just going to sand it back and slap some paint on and hope it passes the COC.

cranto, Aug 28, 8:42pm
Your not putting enough plaster under the paper if your getting bubbles

daryl14, Oct 13, 1:17pm
Had a crack at this today. Seems to have done the trick. Thanks for the tips!