Ceiling exhaust fan

freebutterflies, Apr 13, 1:19am
Hi,
can someone tell me who I ask to install a ceiling exhaust fan for above my stove. is it a builder or an electrician? id like a rangehood but theres a window half way across the wall over the stove.
I live alone, and not sure who to contact to do the job.
Thanks for feedback

johotech, Apr 13, 1:29am
Electrician will be able to install and wire it for you.

freebutterflies, Apr 13, 1:38am
ok, so do I go and buy it first?

biddy6, Apr 13, 1:41am
Ask if a range-hood can be fitted, sometimes/models can be . Check with a electrician .

johotech, Apr 13, 1:49am
Well I would recommend letting the electrician buy it. They should know what is reliable and straight forward to install.

I would recommend the MF150S one from this page.
http://simx.co.nz/fans/in_line_fans/mixflo_fans.php

He will need to provide grills and duct to suit it.

I have used these fans to connect to old ducted range hoods - remove the old fan and fit the fan in the roof space. Much quieter than the original fan. But they only move about half the amount of air compared to a modern range hood.

freebutterflies, Apr 13, 2:16am
Thanks so much for your help. maybe there is such a thing as a ceiling mounted RANGEHOOD? that would be the best thing I agree.

johotech, Apr 13, 2:22am
You can get an "island" type like this.
http://www.parmco.co.nz/products/Kitchen-Ventillation/Island?pi_categoryid=49&pi_parentid=40

But expensive. And it will still be across in front of your window.
Or you can use an in-bench downdraft type. But they don't work very well.

freebutterflies, Apr 13, 2:34am
Oh yeah, I don't need anything flash, just something to get the cooking smells out when its too cold to have the window open. My lounge/ dining/ kitchen is all one room. .Ok now I have to find a good sparky :) cheers

johotech, Apr 13, 2:38am
Unfortunately a ceiling mounted exhaust isn't actually going to be very effective. A rangehood is only effective if it is mounted about 700mm above the cooking surface.

It might be better than nothing but it will cost you around $500 or so though.

tweake, Apr 13, 4:04am
as above. even rang hoods are not all that effective. you need them wide and down low.
the other thing is where is it going to vent to. a lot of homes you won't want to vent straight into the ceiling so it will have to vent through the roof or back down to the sofit. i would recommend a builder to see what space you have and what options you have.
its not a straightforward jut shove it in, there is ventilation, water control and insulation issues.
through the outside wall type a builder is mandatory.

personally i don't like them due to drafts coming back through the vents.

t_naki, Apr 13, 9:06am
There is such a thing. Ask at a local electrical wholesaler and make sure yo tell them it is for above a stove. Most extractor fans are not deigned to deal with the grease or heat from a cooking and so only one specifically designed for the situation should be used.

freebutterflies, Feb 5, 4:44pm
Thanks everyone. Ill start off by going to an electrical supply shop. You have been a great help.