Gib stopping question.

jack47, Nov 30, 7:35am
I am doing up an old house and there are places where the gib has a few bumps and waves etc, not too bad, but I would like to improve it if possible. Can I just sand the paint and skim with Plus 4 then sand and repaint . Is this what a pro would do! cheers.

directorylist, Nov 30, 7:38am
Dont know about a pro, but its what i'd do.

zak410, Nov 30, 8:18am
Yes you can, and it will work, but seal the plus4 before painting.

jezabeel, Nov 30, 9:37am
1 skim coat wont give a top finish i always do 1 coat of a setting type joint compoundand then a finish coat i spose plus 4 okay for that but it wont fill any deeper imperfections in 1 coat.
ive been painting and stopping 4 20 years and have never used plus4 it 4 DIY

zak410, Nov 30, 9:44am
Not that I use it myself anymore, but, Officially.

"GIB Plus 4® is the only compound recommended by Winstone Wallboards Ltd for hand applied skim coats"

http://www.gib.co.nz/gib-plus/

Its good stuff, easy to use and doesn??

jezabeel, Nov 30, 9:51am
I use sheetrock

zak410, Nov 30, 9:57am
I use U-mix for top coat, best I ever tried.

eezy1, Nov 30, 6:46pm
Personaly i wouldnt use plus4 for anything,It is nothing but garbage its soft,wont stick to itself,delaminates when rolled.If i had to use a winstone product i would use the multy perpouse.For a small job like that i would use USG (sheetrock) 5 minute or 20 minute set.it trowels very smooth and is easy to sand if needed

hatchback, Nov 30, 6:49pm
Plus 4 is ideal for what you need, give the walls to be repaired, a good sand with 80grit, seal with alittle oil based primer and top coat in plus 4. Do final sand back with 150-180 and seal with water based undercoat, easy

eezy1, Nov 30, 7:47pm
150 grit ! your kidding right sheeze you could hang your cloths on the scratchs 150 will leave.So many cowboys that think you plaster with sand paper.

jezabeel, Nov 30, 9:02pm
Dont give up your day job hatchback!

hatchback, Nov 30, 10:42pm
Yip had to turn into a cock fight didnt it, yeah yeah I know, your dick is bigger than my dick.blah blah blah.I can insulate, hang new gib, gibstop, skim coat and paint to a perfect finish AND I make a great living out of it but yeah your dick is still bigger than mine

hatchback, Nov 30, 10:44pm
As above, my day job pays well and I get alot of referals and repeat work and yeah you dick is bigger than mine too jezabel.yawn yawn yawn

hatchback, Nov 30, 10:48pm
Sorry jezabel I see you are a chick, ok your clit is bigger than my dick

jezabeel, Dec 1, 12:51am
If you sand plus4 with 150 you have no idea what you talkin bout sorry

zak410, Dec 1, 3:13am
As you can see, there's many ways to skin a cat and different tradesmen can have different techniques.

However what you are intending to do will work just fine, talking also from experience.

An important aspect is to use a wide sanding pad to avoid 'digging-in' the Plus4 when sanding.

eezy1, Dec 1, 3:52am
haha touch a nerve ! plenty of working fixing your cock ups i guesse :)the reaction and
Referanceto your penis would indicate a complex there as well

elect70, Dec 1, 4:40am
IF you are confidant in getting it smooth. 1 job i leave to plasterer, if hes good there is little sandingThey are adime a dozen & cheap as.

tillsbury, Dec 1, 8:21am
Not in chch, unfortunately.The ones I've used have been bodge merchants and now they're all busy anyway.Chch urgently needs some more good tradesmen.

nitronz, Nov 28, 4:55pm
he is right however 150 grit and plus4 together will just mean the OP will have to do it twice when the 150 takes all the plus4 off
oh and I dont even have a dick.but I can spit a long way