What sort of flowers should I plant?

cheekypa, Jan 22, 12:43am
I have just created a new garden in the front yard and I have no idea about what sort of flowers to plant in it. It is about a 3m by 1.5m area I want to plant with flowers. Wanting nice colourful ones to make it look pretty lol. Any suggestions?
Also is it best to get them from The warehouse, Mitre 10 or a local garden centre? (wanting cheap)
thanks

harrislucinda, Jan 22, 12:50am
all about same price ! local garden centre will help as do you have full sun === shade -- damp

annies3, Jan 22, 2:44am
Panseys grow pretty well anywhere and will seed down so they keep on going, lots of other flowers which are taller to fill in the middle such as roses, in the summer I like livingston daisies in hot sunnny spots around the edges.

imagine4, Jan 22, 2:45am
awapuni nurseries. 25 plants for $6 . excellent plants and delivery. they are on trade me as well. I use them all the time can not fault them over night delivery. and much cheaper

freesia, Jan 22, 2:53am
Also allysum that will self seed and spread. I like zinnias cos they last for ages. And marigolds.

sophie98, Jan 22, 3:00am
I think roses would be lovely in a front garden.

gem661, Jan 22, 6:05am
wild flower seed mixes.

gem661, Jan 22, 6:06am
lobelias too

thea4, Jan 22, 8:34pm
petunias,zinneas, bedding begonias lobelia all make a bright show,see what the shops are selling and ask questions.pansies for winter flowering
happy gardening
oh and take a look at other gardens to see what you would like

colin433, Jan 22, 11:13pm
I was at a garden centre yesterday and wouldn't buy any of their annual plants. They were stressed from lack of water and from the heat, even though there was a shadecloth cover over them. If you do find some healthy plants, I suggest you plant them out into pots and keep them in a shaded area till they are growing well with a good root system. Just one day of not watering them and you could lose them in you plant out into a hot area.
Too early to buy seedlings for autumn/winter. I agree with the poster who suggested pansies, but they are not available yet.
I also suggest you rig up some shade for anything you plant if you can't wait till the weather cools off a bit.
Mrs C

rainrain1, Jan 23, 4:21am
Yes it's a bit late now to expect too much
I plant these annuals every year late Spring for colour, they all do really well here in the south. Not sure about where you are, poppies are good, livingstone daisies, there are many others that you could grow

http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/359397797.jpg

Yellow. tagetes, all shapes and sizes
Blue. lobelia, there are many colours available
Others. Petunias. lovely things, they thrive in the heat
There are pansies seeding in there all over the place

annies3, Jan 23, 6:03am
Very pretty.

cheekypa, Sep 10, 8:21pm
Thanks for all the suggestions I am off tomorrow to see what I can find :)