Cost of painting a roof

Page 1 / 2
mrskathy, Nov 5, 2:17am
Anybody had their roof painted lately? Approx cost for a single level average size house? (For a professional to paint)

fhpottery, Nov 5, 2:31am
Good question! 5000$$ But you can use fence paint to save money (JUST KIDDING! )

mrskathy, Nov 5, 3:10am
Lol yes its a bit of a silly question because I havent measured the roof,just thought somebody might have a general idea.Will get somebody in to quote when Im nearer to being able to afford (else it would be fence paint)

buddytom, Nov 5, 3:14am
I had a 90sm unit done recently, 2 coats of resene paint $900.00 ,it was brushed on not sprayed and took a couple of days . It was well done too.

mrskathy, Nov 5, 3:21am
Thanks buddytom,that sounds more affordable

johotech, Nov 5, 4:39am
OP asked for a price for a professional.

skin1235, Nov 5, 5:09am
the paint will be the least of the costs, probably $300 will cover that bit, then theres the $3000 for the lads to splash it on, plus $4500 for the scaffolding hireage for the 4 days ( it only takes one day to paint the roof but two to put the scaffolding up and two more later to pull it down), and that has to be done by riggers, 2 working, 2 supervising, 1 overseer, plus they have to hire a truck to get it all there, than hire it again to get it all back to the hirecenter, unless they have their own scaffolding and truck in which case double the price of the hirecenter for the entire 4 days, and they will need one worker and a supervisor on site for the whole time in case a bolt comes loose or you'll have to down tools and ring them to come back and tighten said bolt
by the time they are all finished you'll have to resow the front lawn, repaint he carport, repair the shed they managed to poke holes in with the scaffolding poles, replant all the gardens within 10 mts of the roof or put up with the scarlet pimpernel disease everything has now got, the car will need a respray as well, and the concrete paths will need a fierce waterblasting, so include the extra water and power to the account - 10 grand should just about cover it, payable up front, when do we start

skin1235, Nov 5, 5:21am
or get a professional to quote - but choose carefully, there are still ripoff artists in the roof and house painting trade

mrskathy, Nov 5, 5:27am
Lol skin1235 think Ill leave the roof as it is

skin1235, Nov 5, 6:38am
lol, but with the new rules re edge protection - no worker is allowed to be up higher than 1.5 mts without fall protection, ergo scaffolding - I'm not kidding, the cost for that is horrendous - but as a homeowner you can crawl around on the roof without it and paint yourself into a corner and have to sit there for 4 hrs until the paint is dry enough to walk on, by which time the corrugations in ya bum will be permanent, they will be noticeable for the next 3 years ( which may or may not be desirable - the added attention)
and the bit about the rigger, thats true too, the local lads who have been painting roofs and houses for 30 yrs apparently know nothing about safety or assembly of scaffolding, this has to be done by licensed riggers to the new specs laid out by occupational health coneheads sitting behind tinted windows dreaming up new ways to get some attention, maybe they should sit on a roof for 4 hrs watching paint dry - if they could stand the intense drama that involves - and they've never climbed a ladder in their lives, they get vertigo sitting on a bar stool and would much prefer all bars had soft foam flooring to cushion them when they get dizzy and fall off the stools ( no honestly, they measured some bar stools and decided they were too tall and therefore a risk to patrons, the bar owners had to get the stools shortened )

but if you leave the roof as it is it will leak eventually, and then you will be in damp squalid circumstances and cyps will take your children ( hell yes I need a holiday from them, where did I hide the garden hose to wet down the inside) but then they won't bring them back after, they'll ship them off to known abusers on the promise they won't offend again

see what happens when you think you will be allowed to paint your roof, lol
blardy disaster after disaster

skin1235, Nov 5, 6:48am
in amongst that lot is a lot of truths, a few near truths, and hopefully a grin or two, life on a wet day goes better with a grin or two

mrskathy, Nov 5, 7:24am
Definately a few grins reading that. :-)

golfdiver, Nov 5, 7:44am
If it's single storey, allow about $18 a lineal metre for the scaffold usually assembled in a couple of hours and taken down in just over one by comptetent friendly pros with no dramas. What sort of roof is it? I'll just stick to truths and try to give advice. There are other threads for laughs

skin1235, Nov 5, 7:48am
where?

lol

ya party pooper

skin1235, Nov 5, 7:53am
but yeah, good solid info will be of help to the OP and if I recall correctly you are a professional on this area

golfdiver, Nov 5, 7:59am
I'll take the piss with the worst of them, but in this case a genuine query and something I can probably help with

skin1235, Nov 5, 8:01am
thats fine, no offence here

golfdiver, Nov 5, 8:05am
You are however quite correct in suggesting the roof painting industry is full of rogues

mrskathy, Nov 5, 8:11am
Iron roof lol

golfdiver, Nov 5, 8:13am
Ok, age, pitch, condition, nails? If so , lead head or weather seal? Or screws. Size as well please?

mrskathy, Nov 5, 8:21am
Hmm ? Think I might get somebody to come look and give quotes. (Typical woman here)

skin1235, Nov 5, 8:22am
also shape and fall away of the section will help, plus any very confined spaces, ie walkways between shed and house, neighbours fences etc, trees and gardens within 3 or 4 mtrs
size may have to wait a while til you can measure it but a small 3 bedroom would be likely to be less than700sq (30X20 would be common)

does the shed roof need a coat too, how big is that, is there more than one shed, do they all need a coat

skin1235, Nov 5, 8:24am
maybe the design of the house would help, a 60's Beazely 3 bed ran at about 700 sq, while a state advances 'crown' 3 bed was more 580 sq ( slate board cladding etc)

golfdiver, Nov 5, 8:36am
700 sq what? A large house is normally a roof over 250 sq metres

skin1235, Nov 5, 8:47am
yes, you have me there, I have no idea why I said that, 700 sq ft floor perhaps, am trying to estimate the ex's house in minds eye, a crown style 3 bed maybe 10 mt long by 8 wide max 720 to 740 sq ft floor roof gabled each end

shoot me now please, lol