House rewire

freckles3, Jul 14, 11:44pm
Needing to get house re wired. Can anyone recommend an electrician in whakatane and an idea of cost?

ryanm2, Jul 15, 4:47am
Cost could be anywhere from $1000 to $15,000 plus. What sort of house? single storey, weatherboard, some of your house may be done already, TRS hasn't been used since the very early 60's so any additions from early 60's onwards should be fine. Just get a quote or 2.

freckles3, Jul 15, 7:36am
The house is an old 3 bedroom villa. Yeah there is some modern wiring, the rest I would say is original, steel or something I've been told. Is that TRS?There aren't a lot of power points or lights. Won't be making too many changes but that all depends on the cost.

ryanm2, Jul 15, 7:12pm
Nah, TRS was used for only a short while, generally late 40's to early 60's. The conduit wiring will be the original wiring of the house. If you dont have many power points or lights then it could be quite a straight forward job, without a board upgrade 2 people could (if all goes well) knock it out in a day. Generally board upgrades are done at this time but if money is tight the sparkies should just put mcb (miniture circuit breaker) protection at board. If you start adding power points you will then have to add rcd(residual current device) protection.

lissie, Jul 15, 10:27pm
I don't need a rewire but I do need more power points (mid 80s build) Is it a big deal to replace one existing power point with 2 double points at the same position? Does that require an extra cable back to the power board - or is just an extension of wire to the existing?

russ18, Jul 15, 10:37pm
Would just loop off the existing one but the new socket will require RCD protection so you could be up for some upgrade cost.

captaingraham, Jul 15, 11:13pm
Replace existing socket outlet with a 4 gang outlet. No RCD protection required ------ or does it require RCDprotection?

russ18, Jul 16, 4:59am
No but IMO those quads are awful looking things.

captaingraham, Jul 16, 5:21am
True.

ryanm2, Jul 16, 5:54am
No - you just replace the single socket with a double socket. Easy peasy. No extra cabling, board work etc etc required.

russ18, Jul 16, 6:15am
"replace one existing power point with 2 doubles" I read that as replace one existing plus add one additional . so board work is likely.

lissie, Jul 16, 6:17am
Yup that was what I was suggesting - that's OK - we can replace existing sockets with doubles though - that will help a lot

russ18, Jul 16, 6:20am
If you can get away with not adding the additional sockets but just changing existing ones it will likely save you a lot of money and if competent you can even do it yourself - provided you both own and occupy the house.

pauldw, Jul 16, 9:03am
Only if existing wiring is TPS not conduit.

lissie, Jul 16, 10:40am
Totally won't be doing it myself - but how do I recognsie TPS wiring?

russ18, Jul 16, 10:58am
I don't believe that's a requirement when homeowner is just replacing existing socket outlets.

tiny15, Jul 16, 11:01am
you say your house was built in the mid 80's. it will have tps cable then

johotech, Jul 16, 11:03am
That's only a requirement for relocating existing sockets, not replacing.

pauldw, Jul 16, 6:10pm
Was thinking of OPs conduit. Work has to be carried out according to ECP 51 and that limits itself to TPS.

maibuy, Jul 21, 9:49pm
I've had 2 new plug sockets created about 40cm from existing plug sockets in 2 different areas. In both cases this was possible because there was an existing plug nearby so all the wring is hidden behind the walls. All 4 plug outlets work well. When a fan was put in bathroom the electrician used external wiring running along a ceiling beam then housed this wiring in a cover. It was linked internally with the existing light switch and a 2nd switch added. So you don't see wires vertically on the walls to the switch. All up this cost a few hundred dollars 2 years ago. House was built 1997 Wgtn.

kam04, Jul 22, 3:19am
They're ok if they are behind the TV cabinet, under the computer desk. That's about the only place you would probably want to install one. Maybe in the kitchen ?. The horizontal ones look like a multibox has been screwed to the wall, lol.

russ18, Nov 16, 5:54pm
Yeah absolutely agree they look like multiboxes but I've got 2 behind my tv cabinet, 3 under my office desk, 2 at my network hub in a cupboard and 6 in my workshop but wouldn't have anywhere in the house that's visible.