Growing yams 1st time

crazycowe, Sep 30, 4:16am
Please help I have never grown yams before. Do I put them in the ground with the bit of root down or that facing up .I would love to give them ago

beejayem_nz, Sep 30, 4:50am
up its a shoot not a root mound up like spuds pretty easy to grow good luck

samanya, Sep 30, 5:02am
It's early yet for yams . they are frost tender & who knows in our climate?.
However I grew them for the first time last season & they are well worth growing
Bung them in . they will find their own level!

paora-tm, Sep 30, 5:43am
Yeah, me too. I bought a bag from Countdown a couple of weeks ago - waiting impatiently for them to show signs of sprouting. I shall be growing in planter bags if they do sprout.

paora-tm, Sep 30, 5:47am

herc18, Sep 30, 5:51am
I bought the seed yams orange and the red variety, some are in pots and the leaves look just like oxalis, will be interesting to see what colour the flowers are. Apparently they take a year to produce.

crazycowe, Sep 30, 5:58am
I had brought mine from bunnies there was 18 all different sizes I have put them in a old recycle bin & put them in my shed where its not to hot . I also have 5 big rows of spuds down & planted 13 strawberry plants in a recyclable sack. Am slowly getting my gardens back :)

macandrosie, Sep 30, 8:59am
They should be ready to harvest by next Autumn & as samanya said they are frost tender, so once the mature plant is frosted they will no longer grow anyway & can be lifted, cleaned & stored.

bluefrog2, Sep 13, 8:09am
Oca is related to oxalis, grows like a weed! My saved bulbs don't go into the ground until they start sprouting, but usually I'll get volunteer plants sprouting from little tubers left in the ground from last season, and I transplant them into this years growing spot (for crop rotation). Dig up and discard any volunteers you don't use or they'll take over the bed by winter.