Moving plants at this time of year

infinityjrc, Nov 26, 8:15am
Hi I have several trees albeit relatively small that I have to move in the next two weeks or so to a different area, the ground in the different area does not seem that receptive has been stripped bear and on a hill without alot of top soil.I am wondering if you have any tips to assist me to move the plants without killing them and perhaps heeling them in as best I can for now given it is exposed and the hottest time of the year; an apple tree, lime, and lemons; most of all I have a well established climbing remember me Rose with long leaders on it full of flowers at the moment, was waiting until it finishes then planned a hard pruning and then try and move it very sad if it dies; keen to know if anyone can help me with how to do this safely.Thanks
Jackie

wheelz, Nov 26, 8:57am
If they were mine and I valued them I would be waiting for much cooler weather, we've plenty more hot weather to come yet.

texastwo, Nov 26, 7:44pm
If you are thinking about it do it now, before the really hot weather comes.
Ideally you should have"trenched" themabout a month ago - you do this by using a sharp spade tocut into the ground about 20-25cm from the stem. This cuts into the roots and encourages new roots to start to grow. But for now dig the plant'tree/bush out retaining as much soil as you can around the roots. Put them into the largepre-prepared hole in the new site which has a good helping of compost in the bottom and fill with soil. Water very regularly over the next few weeks and you will probably be OK

spiritofgonzo, Nov 26, 7:54pm
It's ok to move them now - it just takes more maintenance over the long dry periods.First, you should ensure you remove all fruit and flowers so they can concentrate their energy on the plant health.Second, You should water them very heavily just before you move them - put a slow hose or sprinkler on them for a couple of hours to ensure they are incredibly well watered, this will help reduce plant shock when moved.Third, you need to water very well the hole that you dig for the trees etc.Follow best practice standard planting techniques, e.g. plant the hole twice the size of the rootball and backfill with 1/2 compost and topsoil mix.Four, try and keep as much soil on the roots as possible to reduce exposed roots.Five, plant in hole, heel in well, and give it another quick water.You can add a bit of fertiliser, or some sheep pellets into the hole, beneath the roots, but don't over fert in the first year as this will remove the plants capability to take in water.Six, mulch with a good quality compost or bark, to stop the roots drying out.Then you will need to keep an eye on them over the rest of this summer. That means digging your fingers into the surrounding soil to check if it's dry and watering well (again, an hour long soak each time, not a 15min water).If you do all this, you'll be ok.

spiritofgonzo, Nov 26, 7:56pm
.also, from the time you dig them up to the time you plant them, should be as quick as possible

piquant, Nov 26, 8:00pm
I wish I shared texastwo's optimism! Whilst their info is generally correct, I would a), severely top prune (to assist in stopping transpiration) and b), place in LARGE pots until they recover. If you place them close to the house, not only will they get the shelter they most certainly will need but also, being "in your face" you will be more likely to give them the copious amounts of water they will need - probably twice a day. And good, long drinks too - not just a dribble that wets the top and goes no further. Even better would be if you could sink said large pots into the ground so that the recovering roots were kept cooler. Frankly, it's a big ask, but good luck.

antoniab, Nov 26, 8:37pm
I have moved very large climbing roses for my Mum even later in the year than this (in BOP). Just cut it back very hard (I used a pruning saw) and water well for the next couple of weeks.
We also successfully moved 2 Acers last year that were about 10 years old at this time of year and they were fine, dropped their leaves then came away fresh and are romping away now.

stevee6, Nov 22, 2:05pm
And with the rose, take cuttings first. I once was forced to move a beautiful Gloire de Dijon in summer as it was right in the way of an underground pipe repair. Even with all the care in the world, it died.
I agree with piquant re the trees - pot 'em in the largest pots you can manage, and keep them in a sheltered semi-shady spot with LOTS of water.